The Plot

The golden hues of the early evening sun filtered through the sheer curtains of Marie's modest abode. The air was warm with the promise of a new beginning, as Marie prepared for the party she had reluctantly agreed to attend. Despite the tension between her and Edmund, she had chosen to forgive him, recognizing that holding onto past grievances only served to prolong their mutual suffering.

Marie had spent the afternoon in a thoughtful silence, rearranging her small collection of belongings, hoping to find solace in her routine. The decision to mend her relationship with Edmund had been fraught with internal conflict, but it was ultimately a choice of healing rather than hurt. As she adjusted her dress and took a deep breath, she reminded herself of the reasons she had chosen to give their relationship another chance.

Her phone buzzed on the small wooden table by the door, breaking the silence. It was a message from Edmund, his words warm and apologetic: "Marie, I can't wait to see you tonight. I know I've made mistakes, but I hope we can start anew."

Marie's fingers hovered over the screen, her heart torn between lingering resentment and a glimmer of hope. She replied with a simple, "Looking forward to it," and set her phone aside, trying to focus on the positive.

As she arrived at the venue, a grand estate with lush gardens and a sparkling swimming pool, the party was already in full swing. The scent of grilled meat and fragrant flowers filled the air. Guests mingled under the string lights, their laughter and chatter creating a lively atmosphere.

Marie scanned the crowd, her eyes searching for Edmund. She spotted him near the pool, talking animatedly with a group of friends. His gaze met hers, and he smiled warmly, making his way over.

"Marie," he greeted her, taking her hand gently. "You look stunning."

Marie blushed, the warmth of his compliment melting some of her reservations. "Thank you, Edmund. I'm glad we could make it work."

Before they could engage further, Helena appeared, her expression darkening as she noticed Marie beside Edmund. The jealousy in her eyes was palpable. Helena had always harbored feelings for Edmund, and Marie's reappearance had stirred a storm of emotions she could barely contain.

"Marie," Helena greeted coldly. "How nice to see you here."

Marie's smile faltered slightly, sensing the hostility in Helena's tone. "Helena, it's been a while."

"Indeed," Helena replied, her gaze shifting to Edmund. "It's nice to see you're moving on."

Edmund's expression grew tense, but he chose to remain silent. He could sense the brewing storm and wished to avoid any further confrontation.

As the evening progressed, Marie tried to enjoy herself despite the underlying tension. However, the atmosphere soon turned darker as she noticed Helena whispering furiously with Agatha across the room. The conversation between them was punctuated by occasional glances in Marie's direction, making her uneasy.

Unbeknownst to Marie, Agatha had taken Helena's grievances seriously. Agatha, a formidable figure in the underworld, was known for her ruthless methods. She had dispatched a group of men to deal with Marie, aiming to eliminate her as a threat once and for all.

The attack was swift and brutal. As Marie was making her way towards the garden, a group of masked men emerged from the shadows, surrounding her. Panic surged through her as she realized what was happening.

"Stay away!" Marie shouted, trying to fend off the attackers. She managed to land a few blows but was outnumbered. Just as the situation seemed dire, a familiar figure appeared—Mang Caloy, who had been a guardian angel to Marie in her darkest times.