The Office Drama

The office buzzed with the usual flurry of activity as Marie and Brian sat at their shared desk, deep in work. They had found a rhythm in their partnership over the past few days. The awkwardness had dissolved, replaced by an unspoken ease that came with mutual respect.

Marie was focused on her screen, typing furiously as she tried to meet yet another deadline when she felt Brian's gaze lingering on her. She glanced up, raising an eyebrow.

"Everything okay?" she asked, slightly distracted.

Brian leaned in a little, his eyes narrowing slightly as he looked at her face. "You've got something... right here." He pointed to the corner of his own mouth as if to show her where.

Marie frowned, wiping her mouth with the back of her hand. "Did I get it?"

Brian chuckled, shaking his head. "No, let me—"

Without hesitation, he reached over and gently wiped the spot with his thumb, his face getting closer to hers. The proximity was sudden, and Marie blinked in surprise. His touch was light, but the moment hung between them, almost too long to be casual. She could feel the warmth of his hand, his breath close, and for a second, the air between them shifted.

Just then, the sound of approaching heels interrupted the moment.

"Excuse me!" a sharp voice snapped from behind them.

Marie and Brian both jumped, startled, as a woman appeared out of nowhere, her expression stormy and her posture bristling with indignation. She had long, sleek black hair, expertly styled, and was dressed in an expensive-looking blouse and pencil skirt that screamed power and privilege. It was Vanessa Castellano, a name that instantly rang alarm bells in Marie's mind.

Vanessa was from the Castellano clan—one of the Marino family's long-standing rivals. Marie didn't know the full history, but she had heard enough whispers to understand that tensions ran deep between the two families. And now, Vanessa stood before them, her presence sharp and threatening.

"What's going on here?" Vanessa sneered, her eyes darting between Marie and Brian, as if she had caught them in some kind of illicit act. "A little too close for comfort, aren't we?"

Before either of them could respond, Vanessa's hand jerked forward. In a sudden, deliberate move, she tipped her coffee cup and let the liquid spill all over Marie's lap.

Marie gasped, jumping up from her chair as the hot coffee soaked through her blouse and skirt, the shock of the burn making her wince.

"What the hell!" Marie exclaimed, looking down at herself, drenched in the dark stain.

Brian stood up quickly, anger flashing across his face. "What's your problem?"

Vanessa shrugged, her lips curling into a cruel smile. "Oops. My bad." Her tone was anything but apologetic. "I guess you should watch where you're sitting next time."

Marie was stunned, her hands hovering over the wet stain, unsure of what to do. The heat of the coffee still tingled uncomfortably against her skin.

Before the situation could escalate further, a familiar voice cut through the tension.

"Whoa, whoa. What's going on here?"

Rafael Marino, dressed in his usual sharp suit, strode into the office, his presence commanding immediate attention. He glanced between Vanessa, Brian, and Marie, his eyes narrowing as he took in the scene. It didn't take long for him to piece it together.

Vanessa gave Rafael a smirk, tossing her hair over her shoulder. "Just a little misunderstanding."

Rafael's expression darkened, but he maintained his composure. Without a word, he pulled out a handkerchief from his pocket and handed it to Marie. "Here," he said quietly, his tone softer now. "Use this to clean up."