Insufferable (Part 2/3)

"Reg, stop pacing, you're going to fall on the neighbour of the flat under yours."

"I can't, what if he doesn't come home?"

"He will, Reg." Pandora's voice sounds tired. Probably because he called her at six in the morning when he couldn't sleep anymore, and now it's almost eight. She yawns. "He probably just needed a few hours to cool off."

"He hates me."

"There's no such word in James' vocabulary, Regulus." Lily's voice comes through the speaker for the first time since she cursed him when he first called. "Hate, I mean. James doesn't do hate, I promise."

"I have a special talent, Lily. Believe me."

"Reg," Lily's voice is softer now. "He will come home, alright? It was just a fight. It happens. James adores you. Don't worry and go to sleep for a few more hours."

"I feel so bad," Regulus whispers. "You should have seen his face."

There's silence on the line for a few seconds. "Honey, you were upset." Pandora's motherly tone makes him want to cry. "I'm sure James will understand."

Regulus sighs. "You two are my favourite couple."

"We know." They reply in unison.

"Okay, guys. Thanks. Sorry again, I–" The door's ringbell makes him almost walk against their bookshelf. He hangs up, letting the phone fall as he jumps over the couch. He pretty much knocks the door off its hinges when he opens it, "James, I–" he breathes, just to find a surprised man in blue working pants who's definitely not James.

"Oh." Regulus deflates, suddenly remembering about their broken dishwasher. "Right."

The man, who seems to be in his late twenties, raises an eyebrow. "That's a weird welcome. You looked very excited and then very disappointed. Am I that ugly?"

Regulus flushes, before chuckling nervously. "Uhm, no. Sorry. I was– I thought you were my roommate. Sorry. Come in."

The man follows him to the kitchen. "I'm Mitchell, by the way."

"Regulus, nice to meet you. Sorry again. About the door."

Mitchell shakes his head, grinning. Regulus, in the back of his mind, thinks he has a nice smile. But not as bright as James'.

They chat a little. Mitchell is a very talkative person and enjoys small talk, so Regulus lets him do all the work and is content with sitting at the kitchen table while he sips a coffee. At least, if he has to listen to Mitchell speak about his family business he won't stare at the entrance door waiting for it to open. "So, you said you have a roommate?"

Regulus startles out of his thoughts. "Uhm. Yeah. James. He's the one who called you, the other day."

Mitchell hums. Giving Regulus a side smile from where he's bent over the dishwasher. He's nice enough, Regulus thinks. And objectively handsome. He has caramel hair, a bit lighter and less curly than James, and blue eyes.

"Ah, I understand the problem, here. Luckily you didn't use it, it would have flooded the flat."

"Really?" Regulus frowns. "What was it?"

"Wait, come here. I'll let you see it so that next time you know how to fix it alone. It's not that complicated. Wait, if you look at the little wheel there–"

Regulus tries to follow, crouching next to the dishwasher to have a better look at what the hell Mitchell is pointing at. He was never a very life-smart person, so Regulus tries to hide looking completely lost, even if his mind stopped working at wheel.