The case

"I'm still standing." I whisper reassuringly to myself.
Everyone goes through tough times in life, sometimes it's all you know, sometimes when you least expect it. But the only reason there's so much dysfunction in this world of ours is because people forget that they're not the only ones who suffer.

Everything I've ever gone through, all the heartaches and lonely nights have all led up to this moment. I know nothing will be the same after I receive this assignment, I'm counting on it in fact. The room I'm standing in is on the top floor of a towering skyscraper inside my boss's office. It's a smaller space than I expected with medals and certificates lining the walls, and a sleek glass table with its back to the large array of widows. He sits on a large black chair, his elbows resting on the table. He runs his caramel hands through his golden locks, exposing a neck tattoo that I hadn't noticed before. He's wearing a sharp black suit and his deep green eyes scan my figure, looking for cracks or weaknesses, assessing me before I even open my mouth. Perhaps wondering if I'm ready for the assignment I'm about to receive. I straighten my shoulders, adjusting my posture, and place my hands behind my back, interlacing them. He leans back in his chair, eyeing me again.

"Good afternoon Ms. Warner" He says in a deep voice.

"Good afternoon Decker," I reply hoping not to appear as nervous as I feel. Decker is that name everyone knows him by, I don't think there's anyone in the world who knows his real name.

"I usually don't call our staff to my office just to receive their assignments," I nod slowly. "So I'm sure you're aware that the case you'll be receiving isn't one you should take lightly." I pause, I'd deduced that I would be getting a dangerous assignment when I was summoned up here, but now I find myself much more scared than I anticipated while I rack my brian of our unsolved cases.

Only one name comes to mind.

Although parts of me are thrilled that all the late nights I've spent in this building and all the years I've missed out on are finally being rewarded, this new case has so many unanswered questions and the person behind all of it, is responsible for too many crimes to count. I take a breath.

"I'm aware of the value that this case holds, but I'll have you know," I say in an intimidating tone, "I've never once taken a case lightly." He smiles a devilish smile.

"So I've heard." He says while pulling out a thin folder, he flips through some papers looking back up at me, "Orphaned at birth, full paid scholarship to a boarding highschool because of your advanced mathematics and karate abilities, full scholarship from Silverstein University because shooting and judo skills, you participated in many tournaments which of all, you won, graduated top of your class, came to join our organization after finding a lost classmate, and worked your way through the ranks, and moved into the assassins department."

He takes a slow breath out, scanning me from my shoes to my eyebrows, deciding if I'm the successor behind those achievements.

"Kalisa Warner at your service." I say, dipping a small bow. He raises an eyebrow.

"You've achieved great things Ms. Warner, and no doubt you're our most successful operative, and the best person for this job,"

"I appreciate the praise."

"But will you appreciate the weight I'm about to put on your shoulders? This is your last chance to back out." I was expecting to give him a clear 'yes' but I find myself thinking over the offer. I could die, this could be it. As Decker said, I grew up with no one. I have nothing to lose but myself, and if I manage to pull this off I will have secured my legacy, and everyone who looked down on me will have to accept the hard truth that I've become something in this world.