Locked Up

"Do you actually work there, at the club?"

"It's my undercover job profile, I finish a lot of my missions as 'Caspian the Bartender'." He chuckles.

"Who is your employer Caspian?" I say, words as sharp as a blade. I don't miss when Caspian hesitates in his answer.

"I will not give that to you." He looks down, staring at his cuffed hands, envying them when they weren't bound. I just laugh.

"Huh, not a smart move. Very risky." I say walking closer and gripping his face. "Very risky indeed." I slap him again.

"It's going to take much more than that to get information out of me, Kali." He grins.

Beads of sweat form on his forehead and trickle down his neck, I don't pay it any mind. His lip is busted and blood streams down his nose. We need this information, but Caspian being the stubborn man he is, refuses to give it.

"Caspian-" I start.

"What, I can handle it, keep going if you want to." He says while heaving breaths, he's obviously not accustomed to being tortured. This isn't even that bad, I'm going easy on purpose.

I now realize that the smiling in the beginning was all a facade, him trying to put a wall in between us, or maybe he thought he'd look tougher if he did. God Caspian, you only look like a fool!

"Caspian." I whisper. "I'm under no obligation to keep you out of harm's way, but if you would just tell me." I say, "I don't want to keep hurting you, even though you fucking deserve it." I say even quieter.

His blue eyes twinkle and his lips twist into another smile, as he opens his mouth the blood from his lip and nose sink in, but he doesn't seem to care.

"I knew you liked me."

"I hate you, and everything you stand for." I say through gritted teeth. "Don't mistake loathing for liking, that's stupid." I only feel remorse because of the drunk situation, but I guess that's all over now, I don't need to care about him anymore.

"My employer is one of the leaders of a large crime organization." He says loudly, most likely so Decker and the others watching can hear. I breathe a sigh of relief.

"Good job." I say, putting a hand to the back of his neck. "But if you ever try any of that shit again, I can't guarantee your safety. Clear?"

"Crystal." He says through a large exhale, I smile and start to walk away. "Kali, one more thing." He says, and I stop, but don't turn around. "I'll be leaving this place soon, and just remember that when I escape, that you did your best."

"Whatever you need to tell yourself." I retort, I slam the door shut and meet Decker on the other side.

"How's the fist, Warner?" He asks through an exhale of his cigar.

"It's been better." I stare at my bruised fist, Caspian's face looked ten times worse though.

"Well you've proved yourself once again, and even though it wasn't everything we were looking for, you got a lot out of him then any of us did."

"Wait," I stop. "You guys already interrogated him?" I say with a sliver of worry.

"Oh yeah." Decker says blowing out again as we step into the elevator. "In fact, it was much more intense than what you did. He was up all night. Didn't spill shit." He says chuckling in annoyance.

"Why didn't I see any bruises or dried blood?" I wonder aloud.

"Warner, we dislocated his shoulder and broke two of his ribs." Decker blows again, the wisps of smoke dissolve into the air, escaping his mouth. "His clothes hid all the damage."

The elevator shuts.

Even though this man is a cruel, disgusting, hardened criminal, I feel a twitch of sympathy echo in my mind. Turns out he was accustomed to torture.

But if he was so good at concealing information, why did he crack when all I did was some minor damage? Taking out my bun, I run my hands through my long hair, and let out a sigh.

Why is Caspian, so stupid? I ask myself. How does someone like him become a renowned criminal? All these unanswered questions are driving me into madness.