Smarter than you think

"You-son-of-a-bitch." I say quietly.

"What are you referring to?" He asks, but his sincerity doesn't match his eyes. I grip the glass and turn it upside down, pouring it all over the counter. "What was that for?" He asks, annoyed.

"I'd like to ask you the same thing?" I huff, "Why did you poison my drink?!" His lips twist into a smile, dammit, there must've been a name I missed. Oh well, I'll ask Decker to look through everything when I get back to the agency tomorrow.

"You're much smarter than you look." He hops over the counter and I take the chance to run into the bathroom, he follows me close behind.

I slam the door shut, but don't even bother locking it. It takes about two seconds before Caspian barges in, I throw the first punch, he dodges it, and I proceed to kick him in the stomach, he grabs my foot and flips me upside down.

I don't spend another second on the floor and throw a punch to his nose, I feel red blood leaking down my hand but I don't spare it another thought, Caspian wipes the blood away with the back of his hand and hooks his leg around mine, I use the opportunity to slam into him from behind. He crashes into one of the mirrors leaving it shattered.

"Who do you work for?!" I shout.

"Always with the questions Kali, I'm just here to finish a job." He says while removing a knife from his pocket. I don't hesitate to pull out my pistol from my purse, I almost shoot him in the shoulder, but he dodges and wraps his arm around my neck leaving me in a chokehold. The pistol slips out of my hand and slides across the bathroom floor.

He places the knife under my chin angling me to face him. I struggle under his grip, but his arm holds firm. "You put up a good fight, Kalisa, but not good enough." I curse under my breath, the second he shows a hint of weakness I'll escape, this isn't my first rodeo. "Don't worry, I'm not here to kill you, in fact the drink was laced with a sleeping poison." I roll my eyes, but my head is filled with a question. If I was his target, why didn't he do this when I was much more defenseless? "You're a skilled operative right so I need you to listen while I-" I reach for the knife under my thigh.

"While you what? Spit some more bullshit? It's a good thing this 'skilled operative' is smart." I say through gritted teeth, Caspian raises an eyebrow and I elbow him in the chest, he falls back and I smack the knife out of his hand.

"Touche." He smirks, I wipe the blood from my lips and keep my mouth in a straight line. I walk over to him pushing him against the wall and place my knife under his chin.

"I've handled much worse than you." I say sharply. "Now, you're going to tell me why you've been texting me, following me, and why you didn't get rid of me when you had the chance."

"My lips are sealed." He says chuckling. "You won't get shit out of me, oh and by the way, don't beat yourself up when I escape."

"Not happening." I say, smiling, he looks me up and down with a confident look on his face.

"Whatever you say Kali." He says.
Hours later when I've called Decker and sent Caspian away in a cop car for questioning, I can't help but feel accomplished, it's been some time since I've felt the adrenaline rush that I just experienced. I caught someone, without doing any research or planning, it's not the first, but it's good to be reminded of the things you can do. Decker offers to drive me, and I'm too tired to refuse.

"You did good today Warner." He says triumphantly.

"Just doing my job Decker." I say back, half asleep in the backseat of his car.

"Well it paid off, I know that this doesn't have anything to do with the Malgrave case but I'm delighted to know that you don't crack under pressure." I smile weakly, it's good to leave him to his own assumptions. "I trust that you'll be back tomorrow for the interrogation."

"Sounds like a plan." I say through a yawn, the car stops and I thank Decker for the ride as I open the door and step inside my house. "What a day."