Background information

"We're in private right now." He counters, flashing a grin.

"Works for me, as long as you're comfortable with what I want to talk about right now, or would you rather finish eating?"

"Go on Kali." He says sipping a glass of water, this is the moment, I need to ask him for information on Malgrave. This is his one shot without any torture. Please make the smart move Caspian.

"I'm ready to collect my information on Malgrave. I don't know what your plans are, but when you take me to her funeral, I intend on staying in Detroit, I'm not leaving with you again. I don't know what your plans are but I can tell my boss that I escaped and that you stole my phone or something."

I pause, careful of how I say the next few words. "I don't care what the previous plan you hoped to put in action was, but I'm going home. So you give me the information right now, because I held up my end of the bargain, it's your turn." Caspian takes a deep breath out, looking at me, still standing in the doorway.

"There's only a few pieces of information I haven't yet shared with you, Kali." He says leaning back in his chair.

I lean adamantly against the doorframe. "Malgrave isn't a code name, it's a last name, his original last name in fact, if you ask me for his first I wouldn't know."

That piece of information is a lot more useful than Caspian thinks it is, we can look into his birth certificate now that we know that. "Malgrave isn't as old as you might think, he's only a couple years older than me." That bit doesn't help as much but it's still useful nonetheless. "And one last thing, when Malgrave commits murders or things like that he is always the one to draw the M after he's finished." I forget how to breathe for a second.

"Wait so that means . . ."

"The man who killed your friend was Malgrave."

Caspian finishes for me, I was so close to turning in the man that I needed to if only I'd waited for my team, we could've surrounded him together.

Shit.

But he killed Nye, even if he got away, he's the one that murdered her.

"I'm going to kill you for that." I whisper under my breath, quiet enough so Caspian doesn't hear.

My original goal was to eliminate Malgrave, but now I have a personal reason to, he took the one person in my life who I genuinely cared about and stole her from me, I knew that it was all his doing even before now, but just knowing that he was actually the man to push a knife through her body makes me want to blow up the world.

I stand there for a while processing the information while Caspian looks guilty as ever, it's my fault, I asked him for information I have to bear the consequences.

When I finally decide to open my mouth again to thank him, the words that come out are different. "Is there anything else I should know about?" My sharp tone sends a wave of surprise from Caspian, just as I'd told him before I was going to be better at handling my emotions even if that means suppressing them for right now.

"No." He says quietly. "Now, if you'd sit down for breakfast-"

I cut him off. "As I said before I'm not hungry, I'll be waiting in my room until we leave." I start to walk out of the door but Caspian jumps from his seat to follow me.

"I've finished eating, let's go." I follow Caspian out the door and up a few flights of stairs, when we reach the roof, the warm morning air makes me feel overheated in my long coat but I pay it no mind.

We step onto the helicopter and as soon as Caspian gives a signal the blades start to turn, they go faster and faster until we start to hover over the ground.

In no time we're in the air and far away from Caspian's house.

I release the breath I hadn't realized I'd been holding and let my mind wander for the rest of the flight.