Chapter 431-433

Chapter 431: Joker (9)

"Joker" on the Emmy red carpet? Kang Woojin realized this after hearing Director Ahn Gabok's response.

'Oh- 'Columbia Studios' must have given the OK, huh?'

Honestly, it was unexpected. Or maybe he should say he didn't have high expectations? Before, they pushed quite aggressively depending on the situation, but with Executive Producer Nora Foster opposing it, he wasn't sure it would actually happen. The Emmy Awards is a massive event, and Kang Woojin knew it was crazy to go there with "Joker."

But "Columbia Studios" agreed to that crazy idea.

'Wow, I like how decisive this film company is.'

Does this mean only Nora Foster got left out in the cold? Well, she was probably concerned about "Pierrot: Birth of a Villain" in her own way. And about the "Cinematic Universe." Not everyone can think the same way. Anyway, Woojin was genuinely happy but maintained a composed exterior.

"Is that so?"

Director Ahn Gabok chuckled lightly over the phone at the short response.

"Haha, this was a pretty big deal, but your reaction is still so calm. We're going to show the world the first teaser of 'Joker' in reality. I'm getting more and more excited."

"So am I."

"Let's just say that's the case. But 'Columbia Studios' only allowed the parts you mentioned—just the costume and hair for 'Joker.' Anything beyond that, you must keep silent about, including the movie's title and content."

Kang Woojin naturally nodded.

"That's what I intend to do."

"But since you're making such a bold appearance, you can't just stay silent when bombarded with questions—so it's probably okay to say something like 'He's the villain who heralds the dawn of the 'Cinematic Universe' related to 'Pierrot: Birth of a Villain.'"

In other words, stop right at the point where curiosity peaks. Of course, Woojin had no intention of doing anything more. Overdoing it would make him seem frivolous and insincere.

"Yes, understood, Director."

After Woojin's reply, Director Ahn Gabok, who had been silent for a moment, spoke again.

"...I'm looking forward to it, the reactions of everyone who sees the teaser for 'Joker.'"

Director Ahn Gabok, having expressed his genuine feelings, added a few more words and then ended the call. Slowly lowering his phone, Kang Woojin began to imagine the upcoming Emmy Awards. They call it the 'Academy Awards of television.' Even with just a rough idea, it was clear the scale would exceed that of the Cannes Film Festival, and from what Woojin had searched, it was at least twice as large.

Then, suddenly.

"Wow- damn, I've really changed."

Kang Woojin found himself strangely amazed at his own transformation. In the past, he would have focused entirely on maintaining his composure while his heart raced wildly, but now, he was even enjoying the performance. Although the core of Kang Woojin was still filled with awe and tension, the three years and the 'Void space' had certainly changed him.

Perhaps with more time, he would grow even more.

Then.

-Swish.

Smiling, Kang Woojin picked up his phone again. He was about to call Choi Seong-gun, whom he would meet soon.

"Mr. CEO, please prepare one outfit identical to the 'Joker' costume."

About an hour later.

Kang Woojin got into a large van to move to the next schedule. Inside, Choi Seong-gun, Han Ye-jung, and other team members were all in high spirits.

"Oppa! Is it true that you've been officially allowed to attend the Emmys in the 'Joker' costume?!"

The stylist team, in particular, was excited. They had all been thinking about luxury brand tuxedos or suits, so it was understandable. As soon as the car started moving, Han Ye-jung, who had her short blue hair tied up, asked Kang Woojin.

"So, we should prepare both the 'Joker' costume and a tuxedo, right?"

"That's right."

Choi Seong-gun, who was sitting in the passenger seat with a ponytail, chimed in.

"The 'Joker' costume should be coordinated with the costume team from 'Pierrot: Birth of a Villain.' But there should be a spare, so you can use that as is. No need to embellish it further."

Han Ye-jung nodded, and the team's excited chatter shifted to the "Tonight Show" related topics.

"LA TIME/'Tonight Show' appearance by Kang Woojin, declares 'The other Emmy nominees don't matter.'"

They were reading articles.

"This is crazy, so many articles are coming out!"

"Of course! Oppa declared it himself!"

"But isn't it a bit too much?? I'm worried. There were already a lot of negative comments."

"The journalists here seem determined to tear him apart, don't they?"

Kang Woojin briefly recalled his own words from a few days ago on the "Tonight Show."

"I have no intention of looking around."

Damn, it had been completely misinterpreted.

He was just stating his ambition or desire, adding a bit of flair. But Hollywood decided to interpret it however they wanted and drew their own conclusions. At this point, it was no surprise that Kang Woojin had been labeled as arrogant, or with a "my way or the highway" image. The starting point was 100% his blunt acceptance speech at the Cannes Film Festival. The buildup had led to this moment.

Regardless, Kang Woojin pretended to be indifferent as he continued to check the foreign news articles that were popping up.

"BBX/Emmy Best Actor nominee Kang Woojin, takes aim at other nominees on the 'Tonight Show.'"

"ABY/'I have no intention of looking around,' Kang Woojin's confident statement."

"NT/Kang Woojin says other nominees don't matter—confidence or arrogance?"

It was like the articles were pouring out like a flood. And that wasn't all. On various online communities overseas, people were already chewing over and discussing Kang Woojin.

"Saying the other nominees don't matter... seems pretty arrogant."

"Kang Woojin seems half-crazy, didn't he also make some dismissive comment about the Academy Awards before?"

"He's probably drunk on his rising fame in Hollywood."

"I like his character, though. He seems like a crazy guy who doesn't care what anyone thinks."

"This is just short-sightedness, isn't it? Especially since there was already a lot of talk about him."

"But Kang Woojin's performance in 'Beneficial Evil' was certainly impressive, especially the action scenes."

"As a Korean actor standing alone, you need this kind of boldness."

"Boldness? This is just madness."

It was chaos, pure and simple. Though Kang Woojin's expression remained indifferent as he looked at his phone screen, inwardly, he was grumbling.

'No, seriously, when did I ever say they didn't matter?? Huh? When?'

At this point, Choi Seong-gun, who was also monitoring the situation on his phone, spoke to Woojin.

"Hmm- well, as expected, it's causing a stir. Things are playing out just as you wanted."

"..."

"But it's a bit too noisy. What do you think, should we send out a correction article?"

Kang Woojin sighed inwardly at the question and toughened up his act.

"No, I'll just leave it as it is."

There's no point in trying to take back what's already out there.

Later.

After finishing his morning YouTube shoot, Kang Woojin arrived at the filming set of 'Pierrot: The Birth of a Villain' shortly after noon. As soon as Woojin arrived, director Ahn Gabok and foreign key staff swarmed around him. Why? It was all because of the issue involving Kang Woojin that had taken over Hollywood.

Kang Woojin was caught up with them for over 30 minutes.

'I'm already tired, ugh– I need to take a quick break in the void space.'

As soon as he entered the trailer, Kang Woojin used his void space. The void space was still peaceful. After taking enough rest, he jumped right into filming.

"Action!"

For reference, it had already been three weeks since the filming of 'Pierrot: The Birth of a Villain' began. As a result, the solo scenes of Kang Woojin were decreasing, and scenes with other actors were increasing. This reduced Woojin's filming time or increased his waiting time. However, soon, scenes where he would interact with other actors, including Chris Hartnett, would be added.

Director Ahn Gabok had deliberately structured the shooting continuity this way. Since set filming would mainly be done until August, there were a lot of solo shots for the actors, and from then on, as location shoots were combined, there would be more two-shots or group shots.

Kang Woojin soon focused on filming, forgetting about the morning's issues.

To others, it seemed like:

"Wow, Woojin, despite dropping such a bombshell, he doesn't seem to care at all? He's completely unfazed."

"It really looks like he doesn't care at all."

"Anyway, his character is one of a kind."

"He's explosively popular as a star, to be honest, I've never seen an actor turn Hollywood upside down like this every other day."

He seemed calm or at least indifferent.

A couple of days passed, but Kang Woojin's attitude remained unchanged. He had been through this often enough to quickly forget about it. However, the international media and public opinion grew even more heated. Hollywood actors and various personalities were also busy talking about Kang Woojin.

In particular, the reactions of the other nominees for the 'Emmy Award' Best Actor category, aside from Woojin, were interesting. The other four nominees.

Some were bewildered.

"This comment is absurd every time I see it. How can he be so arrogant after less than a year in Hollywood?"

"Don't worry about it, it's just a petty psychological warfare move."

Some were excessively angry.

"What the hell is with this guy! What? He doesn't even care about the other nominees?? I've never seen such an arrogant jerk! Write an article targeting him right now! I don't care about him either!"

On the other hand, some recognized Kang Woojin.

"Kang Woojin, he may seem abrasive at first glance, but he has the skills and talent to back it up. His acting and action in 'Beneficial Evil' were amazing. There's a reason why the 'Big Five' film studios in Hollywood are after him. I'd like to get to know him better."

And some just laughed heartily.

"Hahaha! This guy really is a madman, isn't he??"

Thus, June ended, and July dawned with Hollywood still ablaze.

Friday, July 1st.

However, even with the start of July, Hollywood didn't quiet down. By this time, something colossal was being completed at the 50,000-pyeong set of 'spt studio' in LA. Hundreds of foreigners were busy constructing it.

It was the massive set for ''Beauty and the Beast'.'

On such a set, an elderly foreign man with a balding head and black horn-rimmed glasses on the bridge of his nose appeared. It was Bill Rothner, the director of 'Beauty and the Beast.' Of course, several key staff members followed behind him.

"Let's go."

Director Bill Rothner entered the gigantic set that resembled a fantasy world. The start looked like a village from the past, not modern times. Here, Director Bill Rothner thought of 'Belle the Beauty.' Next was the castle. At a glance, it had a grandiose feeling. In this place, Director Bill Rothner recalled 'The Beast' and 'The Prince.'

"...This is good."

Now, he and the foreign key staff had come out to check the final touches on the massive 'Beauty and the Beast' set, which was nearing completion. Except for the set, everything else had been finished during the pre-production phase.

In other words, as soon as the set was completed, they would move on to the next phase.

Director Bill Rothner toured the nearly completed set with the key staff for about an hour.

He didn't forget to give instructions on the minor details along the way, and the last stop of the inspection was a large banquet hall with a piano. It was the place where Kang Woojin's audition had taken place. The banquet hall had become several times more glamorous than before. The various patterns on the columns and floor had become more distinct, the chandeliers on the ceiling had doubled, and silk fabrics were hanging everywhere.

What was peculiar.

"Hmm– that setup is coming along nicely too."

As Director Bill Rothner mentioned, a square table was placed in the center of the banquet hall in front of the golden-patterned piano. The chairs around it weren't modern but matched the design of this fantasy-world banquet hall. About 30 people could comfortably sit in those chairs. It looked like an added set piece, but it wasn't.

Those tables and chairs were.

"Now that it's set up like this, it doesn't look like it's for a script reading but more like they were originally part of this banquet hall."

They had been set up for the script reading of 'Beauty and the Beast.' In other words, the script reading for 'Beauty and the Beast' would take place in this banquet hall set. As Director Bill Rothner briefly imagined the actors like Kang Woojin, Miley Cara, and Maria Armas seated at those tables.

–Swoosh.

He spoke to the production crew behind him.

"Let's inform the actors of the confirmed script reading date."

---

Chapter 432: The Beast (1)

Morning of July 2

In a somewhat dirty urban street filled with homeless people, tall buildings and various shops are tightly packed together, and pedestrians move busily on the sidewalks.

How about the road?

- Honk! Honk! Honk!

As traffic congestion began, deafening horns blared from all directions. A yellow taxi driver rolled down his window and yelled at the car in front.

"Damn it!! Move already!!"

The pickup truck in front also rolled down its window and responded with curses.

"Can't you shut up?! Do you think I want to be stuck here?!! Hey! Do you want to die?!!"

Shouting and yelling filled the road, crowding the city with noise. It was overwhelming, but the people living there seemed used to it and went about their business. Among them, the taxi driver who had been yelling suddenly widened his eyes.

"What, what is that??!"

On the sidewalk ahead, an utterly bizarre figure appeared. No, is that even a human? The taxi driver was bewildered by the horrifying clown he saw. On the sidewalk, indeed, was a single 'Clown' walking. His wet red hair flowed, and his face was pale. His eyes and nose were either black or red.

The outfit, too, seemed to be pious but with extravagant colors.

A red jacket and pants, a blue shirt, a yellow vest, tattered brown shoes, and mismatched red and blue socks.

Interestingly,

- Clomp, clomp, clomp.

His demeanor was extremely imposing. The energy he exuded suggested that he would push anyone blocking his path out of the way. Even his beast-like presence was felt.

- Clomp, clomp, clomp.

The 'Pierrot'—no, the 'Joker'—put a cigarette in his mouth. He blew out a long puff of smoke. With one hand, he brushed his red hair. He didn't stop walking. The people passing by or in the cars on the road stared at him. It was as if they were watching a wild beast that had escaped from a zoo.

Or perhaps an uncontrollable epidemic.

Regardless, the 'Joker' was anything but 'normal' to the people. He stood out and was enough of a threat to be considered dangerous. Some people reported him to the police. Some pointed fingers at him. Some laughed at the sight of him. Some were startled and fled.

So what? What are you going to do about it?

The relentless advance of the 'Joker,' who was no different from Kang Woo-jin, did not stop. A camera, carried by two people on their shoulders, alternated between shooting Woo-jin from the front and the side.

"Hoo—"

Kang Woo-jin exhaled a long stream of cigarette smoke and suddenly,

- ♬♪

He let the music playing in the street dictate his rhythm. He began to dance. The expressions of the people who had been watching him with curiosity turned even more strange. What the hell is this crazy guy doing? The more he danced with the cigarette in his mouth, the more intense his movements became.

At that moment, as he twirled on the spot,

"I'm going crazy with joy."

He murmured low and calmly. Soon, the camera filming him pulled back. Another camera positioned about ten steps away began filming Kang Woo-jin head-on.

- Swish.

Kang Woo-jin, taking out a new cigarette and blowing smoke towards the sky, continued walking. One step, two steps, three steps. As expected, he moved without hesitation. The relentless advance of the 'Joker' was being vividly displayed on monitors watched by hundreds of foreigners and Director Ahn Gabok.

Here, the directorial vision of Director Ahn Gabok began to emerge. Foreign staff members evaluating it internally.

"There's a saying: Life is a comedy from afar but a tragedy up close. That's what's captured in the steps of 'Joker' now."

"It looked like a good scene when we heard the storyboard description, but seeing it in person is even better."

"Due to the thick and smilingly torn lips makeup of the 'Joker,' it seems like he's smiling from afar, but as the camera gets closer, you realize he's expressionless. This was Director Ahn Gabok's intention."

In fact, there was a twist in Kang Woo-jin's expression on the monitor. From a distance, it looked like he was smiling with his mouth wide open, but as his figure came closer, the true expression drawn on his lips was emotionless. It was stiff and indifferent. This was Director Ahn Gabok's clever maneuver.

The coexistence of 'comedy' and 'tragedy.' And the real 'Joker' was a clown satirizing the world. "I know you live with this ridiculous smiling mask, but I am liberated."

At that moment.

"Hey!!"

A man's shout came from behind Kang Woo-jin. Stopping in his tracks, Woo-jin, brushing his red hair, turned his head back. Two large police officers were gesturing from quite a distance.

"Who are you! Come over here!!"

These were the police who had been called in response to the reports. The cameras, capturing the police and Woo-jin, shifted angles to focus on his face. If it were before, he would have been shivering with tension, but now, he was the awakened 'Joker.' He took a long drag on his cigarette and, like a curtain call, placed one hand on his chest and bowed slightly towards the police.

To the police, this gesture appeared exceedingly bizarre.

A creepy 'Pierrot' suddenly showing politeness.

"What, what's with that crazy guy."

However, Kang Woo-jin's shout had no regard for politeness.

"Hello, fatso!"

The police's eyes widened.

"!!!"

"Grab that guy!!"

The two chubby police officers started waddling and running. Kang Woo-jin, or 'Joker,' laughed loudly.

"Hehehe!"

He ran just as energetically. Unlike the police, his face was frenetically excited, whether drawn or real. The camera behind him clearly captured his red and blue mismatched socks fluttering beneath his rolled-up pants.

In the world of 'Pierrot: The Birth of a Villain,'

"Hehehe! Hahahaha!"

The 'Joker' began to rampage.

It was a scene of a horrifying clown enjoying himself wildly. The camera closed in on his face from the front as he ran. His white face had sharp, square eyes with red dots on the eyebrows and nose tip, and his mouth, torn and exaggerated, was grotesquely deranged.

Over a hundred foreign staff members were watching, including Choi Seong-geon, who looked on with a shiver and regret.

"Ha, it's a pity we can't have the 'Joker' makeup for the 'Emmys.'"

He imagined Kang Woo-jin walking the red carpet at the 'Emmys.' A strange thrill erupted within him.

Later,

"Cut. OK."

Director Ahn Gabok's sign was given. Soon, the grotesque-faced Kang Woo-jin approached. He had a brief conversation with Director Ahn Gabok. Meanwhile, Choi Seong-geon's phone vibrated intensely.

- Swish.

Choi Seong-geon quietly stepped away from the group to take the call. After several minutes, Kang Woo-jin, having finished his conversation with Director Ahn Gabok, was approached by Choi Seong-geon.

"Woo-jin."

He smiled, shaking his phone.

"I got the script reading date for 'Beauty and the Beast,' July 18th. About two weeks left."

A few days later, on the 6th.

Late morning. The place was a gigantic 'World Disney Pictures' that resembled an amusement park. Inside the main building, the production team for 'Beauty and the Beast' gathered in a large conference room. This included key staff, Director Bill Rothner, producers, and more.

In the hallway of the conference room,

- Swish.

Kang Woo-jin appeared in a black short-sleeved shirt and jeans. His poker face was as intense as ever.

The reason for his visit to 'World Disney Pictures' was simple. There was a pre-meeting regarding the 'Beast' and 'Belle' before the script reading. 'Beauty and the Beast' was an adaptation of an existing story, so it was essential to familiarize himself with the details beforehand for a smooth script reading.

In any case, Kang Woo-jin, in his concept attire, entered the conference room.

'Ugh—so many people.'

Soon, Director Bill Rothner and various foreigners welcomed him. They chatted about greetings and recent issues for about 10 minutes. Woo-jin sat in the first seat by the window among the 11 chairs set up. A screen was hanging on the left wall, likely for a PPT presentation.

At that moment,

"Oh—Miley!"

Blonde Miley Cara entered through the back door. Both of the lead characters were now present. Director Bill Rothner, who had been carefully observing Cara's face, asked her,

"Miley, do you have something else after this schedule today? You seem to have put a lot of effort into your makeup and style."

Indeed, Cara's appearance was fully made up, and her hair was styled differently from usual. Her blonde hair was straightened and flowed luxuriously. Though it was clear she had put significant effort into her appearance, Cara shrugged and shook her head.

"No, not at all. It's the same as usual."

"······Oh, really? Hmm—"

Miley Cara then glanced over Bill Rothner's shoulder. She saw Kang Woo-jin casually looking at the materials under the light from the window. Cara mentally reassured herself.

'It's okay, act like usual. Just like usual.'

She moved to the seat she had been assigned, which was opposite Kang Woo-jin. As Cara sat down, Woo-jin looked up from his tablet. Their eyes met. Woo-jin spoke first.

"Miley, hello."

Cara also greeted him.

"Yes. Hello."

For some reason, Cara, who had been making eye contact with Woo-jin, quickly averted her gaze. Huh? Why does it seem strange? Though her expression remained unchanged, Woo-jin tilted his head inwardly.

'Why is she acting like this? Didn't she just look away?'

Typically, Cara would have led the conversation with a relaxed smile. But she was behaving differently from usual. Woo-jin didn't understand why. He had no issues with Cara. Of course, he didn't know why; it was due to the information Maria Armas had given her.

'Ah—damn it, why did I look away? Act like usual!'

Ever since becoming a top Hollywood actress, Miley Cara had never experienced such emotional turmoil. She tried to deny it, the anger when Maria said Woo-jin was flirting with her, and her inability to look Woo-jin in the eye now.

She had never felt this way before with men.

'It's just that Woo-jin is an unfamiliar character, confusing me.'

Meanwhile, Director Bill Rothner and the rest of the production team took their seats at the table. A projector displayed materials related to 'Beauty and the Beast' on the front screen. It showed designs of the 'Beast' and his outfit, as well as the appearance of other characters around him. These were finalized designs. Director Bill Rothner began explaining.

Woo-jin was absorbed in the design of the 'Beast' on the screen.

'Wow—this is detailed, I guessed it, but it's seriously elaborate. Isn't that makeup going to take hours?'

Kang Woo-jin imagined himself as the 'Beast,' with its brown fur, sharp claws, and teeth. He felt a mix of excitement and fear. With the filming of 'Beauty and the Beast' approaching, the reality hit him. The explanation about the 'Beast' concluded in about 30 minutes, and the next screen displayed the design of 'Belle.'

Upon seeing it, Woo-jin felt,

'Oh wow—she's beautiful. Just like the animation, it brings back memories.'

His anticipation grew. The synchronicity between 'Belle' and Miley Cara was high. He would be able to see it up close as a co-star. Director Bill Rothner soon asked Kang Woo-jin,

"How do you think the 'Beast' fits with 'Belle'?"

Despite his excitement, Woo-jin spoke with a cold tone, his gaze fixed on Cara.

"I think it suits Miley well."

"······"

Cara, who had briefly made eye contact with Woo-jin, again avoided his blue eyes. What's going on? Woo-jin's curiosity deepened. Not knowing the cause, Director Bill Rothner spoke to Cara.

"Oh, Miley's look is great. It matches the contempt 'Belle' feels towards the 'Beast' in the beginning. What do you think? Do you like the 'Belle' design?"

"······Yes, very much."

"I'm glad."

Director Bill Rothner, smiling with satisfaction, started the briefing on 'Belle.' The entire meeting lasted over an hour. Since it was lunchtime, everyone agreed to have a meal together, so Kang Woo-jin, Cara, and the rest of the foreigners left the conference room.

Soon, Woo-jin and Miley Cara were nearing the back door of the meeting room.

Then,

- Swish.

As the foreigners left the meeting room, Woo-jin and Cara's hands brushed lightly against each other. Woo-jin didn't think much of it, but for some reason, the blonde Cara flinched.

"······!"

She stopped walking and noticeably raised her hand. Noticing this, Woo-jin also halted. The production team thought the two actors might have something to discuss and went their separate ways. Before long, only Kang Woo-jin and Cara remained near the meeting room's back door. Woo-jin, with a hint of indifference, placed a hand on his chest and asked Cara softly.

"What's wrong?"

But Cara didn't respond. She could only feel her heart pounding intensely. She looked somewhat dazed. At this point, Cara was certain and whispered to herself.

"Looks like... I like you."

However, Woo-jin didn't quite catch that.

"Huh? What did you just say? Is something wrong with you?"

Cara, who hadn't answered immediately, slowly met Woo-jin's gaze with her blue eyes and murmured.

"I think I like you."

"······"

Woo-jin, staring blankly at Miley Cara's face, replied,

"Huh?"

He seemed slightly disoriented.

Chapter 433: The Beast (2)

The mountain is a mountain, and water is water. When was the last time he, Kang Woo-jin, received a confession from a woman? He can't quite remember. His life was just ordinary, in its own way. Therefore, the current world with its 'spatial distortion' is incredibly shocking.

But wait a minute, why is he thinking like this?

Kang Woo-jin's blurry vision, tangled by his brain's processing, gradually cleared up. No, actually, his vision had been clear all along, but his mind was not.

"······"

Woo-jin managed to regain control over his fluttering consciousness. Thanks to that, he recalled the foolish response he had just given.

'···Was it "yes"? No, I said "yung."'

Why? Why did he give such a ridiculous answer? Soon, Kang Woo-jin became aware once again that Miley Cara, the attractive woman with blonde hair and blue eyes, was staring directly at him. He also recalled her small murmur.

'I think I like you.'

Yes, just now, the global superstar Miley Cara said she liked me, right? Ahaha, yes, that's right. His mind was already blown. Now he remembers everything. Though only a few seconds had passed in Woo-jin's mind, it felt like more than an hour of processing.

Finally.

"!!!"

His mind exploded with a million exclamation marks. It felt like his brain was rebooting, and all emotions erupted.

'Wow- Damn, wait a minute. Hold on!'

But his malfunctioning mind did not return to normal easily. At this point, Woo-jin had no room to maintain any pretense or concept. He just kept rebooting continuously. It was as if a computer with a broken part was flashing and rebooting.

It was a blank slate. All Kang Woo-jin could do was.

"······"

Stare at the world superstar Cara in front of him with a frozen face. Even at this moment, the rebooting continued relentlessly. His soul seemed to be coming and going.

This feeling was.

'Damn!!!'

Miley Cara's blue eyes, which were obviously shaken, were similar. Though her expression did not change much from the confession, she was internally in a state of panic.

'Crazy!! Crazy!!! What did I just say!!'

It was a confession made as if in a trance. There is a saying that people sometimes get carried away by the mood. At times, humans give in to instinct rather than reason. That was exactly the case with Cara now.

'Ah!! Ah!!!'

The brief touch of her hand with Woo-jin made her heart race, leading her to instinctively say she liked him. Of course, it was more sincere than false, but this was not the way a confession should be made. It shouldn't have been this blunt. She had just realized her feelings clearly, yet she blurted out a confession without any buildup.

'No! No!!! Rewind! Rewind time!!'

This was the first and last confession of Miley Cara's life. Even though she wanted to regret and beat the ground a hundred times, Cara, who was somehow still standing on her feet, remained.

- Shifting.

Cara, who had been quietly shaking, adjusted her gaze to Woo-jin. His expression had not changed. He still seemed indifferent and even cold. Cara's regret surged even more, and she felt a bit resentful towards Woo-jin.

'Still, isn't it too indifferent? Even if it was a mistake, I confessed, and he's too nonchalant!'

Wrong. Kang Woo-jin wasn't being indifferent; he was just malfunctioning. His pretense had completely fallen apart. Cara might have been surprised if she poked him even slightly. Unaware of this, Cara thought.

'But he seemed to have given an odd answer—did I hear it wrong?'

She sensed a crisis in Woo-jin's deep impassivity.

'That unchanging face. He's definitely rejecting me. I'm sure he's rejecting me.'

However, this made Cara's heart feel slightly more at ease. 'I don't know, anyway, the water's been spilled, and I'm Miley Cara. Retreating doesn't suit me.' This was her mindset.

At that moment.

"···Miley."

Woo-jin, who had been silent all along, moved first. He asked in a low tone.

"Did you just say you like me?"

"······"

Cara, who had been looking at Woo-jin with a face that seemed to anticipate this moment, tucked her blonde hair behind her ear and let out a small sigh. Then, with a somewhat awkward smile, she nodded. Partly in resignation.

"I think I said that."

"Is this a joke?"

"I'm not a crazy woman who plays around with genuine feelings, even though I might be reckless."

Then, she slightly lifted the hand that had brushed against Woo-jin's.

"My heart is still racing from just brushing hands with you. It's definitely not a joke."

"······"

Woo-jin, who somehow maintained his impassivity, lowered his gaze to Cara's hands. They were slightly trembling. At this moment, Woo-jin almost felt like he wanted to slap his forehead hard if he weren't already struggling with his concept.

'Is this for real? This global superstar is confessing to me???!!!'

Woo-jin's past flashed by like a panorama. Confessions, yes, there had been some. Was it in middle school? But since then, there had been none, from military service to now. So, feelings about confessions had long vanished. Yet, here in distant Hollywood, a top global actress and pop star says she likes him.

Overwhelmed with shock, Woo-jin gave up on recovering his malfunctioning brain functions.

"Hmm."

He stalled with a meaningless mumble. He had no idea what to say. Meanwhile, Cara, seeming to have gained some insight, tucked her blonde hair again.

"You're calm. I can understand."

She recalled Maria Armas. Specifically, she remembered the line where Maria was trying to seduce Woo-jin.

"If it's you, you've probably been in situations like this a lot. Actually, among my colleagues, Woo-jin, you are quite popular."

"······"

What a new and baffling misconception.

'Am I not popular, if not a total zero?'

It was unexpected, but Woo-jin remained silent, and Miley Cara, who had lowered her hand, stepped a little closer to him.

"Still, your reaction is too indifferent. Say something. Even if it's a rejection, it's fine."

The scent in the air calmed Woo-jin's brain a bit, but it twisted again. Ah, screw it. Woo-jin realized that struggling was pointless.

"···Thank you."

So he decided to be honest.

'What's the use of pretending to be tough or anything? A woman is so boldly confessing, and if he hesitate, it'll make him look foolish. Let's just go with it, not getting flustered.'

He said what came to his mind.

"I'm really surprised."

"Is that so?"

"Yes. Your courage and your straightforwardness."

"Honestly, it just came out of my mouth. No one can stop something like this. But it is true."

"······"

"I'm a bit afraid to hear your answer, but—how do you feel about me, Woo-jin?"

How does he feel? Of course, Kang Woo-jin had feelings for Cara. After all, she's Miley Cara. It wouldn't be surprising if anyone in the world had feelings for her, not just Woo-jin. He simply hadn't considered it a possibility before. It's not that he was madly in love, but he did have feelings.

However, there was something troubling him.

'Hmm—Would dating be a problem?'

At the moment, Cara did not know the true, ordinary side of Kang Woo-jin. Despite that, Woo-jin let out a small sigh.

"Huh—Miley."

Without hesitation, he dropped the pretense. He showed his true self to Cara without any facade. After all, a woman was being so genuine, so it would be rather insincere to maintain a facade. Thus, Kang Woo-jin responded to her confession with an uncharacteristically soft tone.

"What should I say? You confessed, and I hesitated a bit. 'Uh?' you know? That's the real me."

"···What?"

"Meaning, I have a different side from what you see. You know, the concept? In Korea, it's called a 'conceptual act.' Anyway, there's a real me, which is how I ended up here since my acting debut."

Miley Cara, who had narrowed her eyes, seemed puzzled. But Woo-jin continued with honesty, scratching his dark hair.

"My public image is of being cool, cynical, and a bit crazy, but that's not really who I am. It's not like I have a split personality; it's just a persona I've created. So, Miley, you might actually like the concept of Kang Woo-jin."

He blurted out the truth. Perhaps the first confession was from Choi Seong-gon? The next was during the 'Pierrot: The Birth of a Villain' audition. That was intentional. And this was the third time. Woo-jin added an explanation just in case.

"I've confessed a few times, but people didn't believe it. But it's real, you know? Anyway, it's hard to explain everything."

"Kang Woo-jin."

Miley Cara interrupted his explanation with a somewhat bitter smile.

"If you don't like me, just say so, like you usually do. Why are you going on with such long and strange explanations?"

No, no, no, no. Please don't misunderstand. Woo-jin urgently replied.

"No, it's real. It's not that I dislike you."

At that moment, Miley Cara's blue eyes lit up.

"You don't dislike me?"

Noticing the strange twist in her question, Woo-jin answered.

"···No."

"So you do have some interest in me."

"Of course. But like I just said, it's not about liking you specifically."

"Okay, whether it's a concept or whatever. I'll believe you."

No, that's not it! Woo-jin wanted to shake Cara's shoulders and insist, 'Believe me! Please believe me!'

"Miley, do I seem markedly different from usual?"

"Different. But it doesn't matter. Whether your words are sincere or an excuse. Let's do this."

Cara glanced towards the hallway, where her team was approaching, and continued.

"We need to film 'Beauty and the Beast' soon. Although I ended up expressing my true feelings by accident, we're professionals, and I don't want to create a situation that harms the project. You agree, right?"

"Of course."

"Let's talk again after filming 'Beauty and the Beast.'"

Miley Cara lowered her voice even more.

"Surely, I'll be more concerned then."

After saying that, Miley Cara suddenly moved. Woo-jin tried to stop her, but he couldn't.

"Miley, have you finished talking?"

Her team members were approaching from a few steps away.

Woo-jin thought.

'Oh damn.'

He decided it was futile to chase her further. So he greeted Cara, who had mixed with her team, already back to his usual facade.

"···Miley, see you at the script reading."

Cara, brushing her blonde hair aside, nodded.

"Sure. See you then. I'll contact you."

Miley Cara's simple "I'll contact you" made Woo-jin feel a stir of emotion. If no one had been around, his mouth would have been smiling broadly. But he had to maintain a firm expression.

"Woo-jin."

As Cara's team and Choi Seong-gon approached, Woo-jin was mixed in with them. Cara walked down the hallway with her team, glancing back at Woo-jin. Her burly half-shaved manager, Jonathan, asked.

"Miley, what were you talking about with Woo-jin for so long?"

Cara shrugged nonchalantly.

"Just discussing the project."

"···Really?"

"Yeah. Other than that, what else would we talk about?"

Jonathan looked at Cara with a bit of suspicion. On the other hand, Miley Cara maintained a relaxed smile. But her heart was still pounding heavily. Naturally, she had been desperately trying to appear composed from the beginning. Soon, she thought of the back of Woo-jin.

'Okay, I bought some time somehow.'

Miley Cara and her team soon got into the elevator. Breaking the brief silence, Miley Cara spoke.

"Jonathan, isn't Woo-jin's image getting worse?"

"Yeah. It's more severe than expected."

Referring to the 'Tonight Show.' The issue of other Best Actor nominees at the Emmys not being considered. Even though more than a week had passed, Woo-jin's image was being tarnished by global media and public opinion, including Hollywood. This incident seemed particularly exceptional.

It was understandable.

The numerous rumors and tabloid news mixed with Woo-jin's Cannes award speech, the 'Pierrot' press conference, and the malicious comments that gained momentum since his casting in 'Beast.' All combined, it was something that Cara didn't like.

"If left unchecked, it might affect my album, 'Beneficial Evil,' and even 'Beauty and the Beast.' Everything is related to me, right?"

"······Hmm."

"There's a need to mitigate this. How about this?"

Cara whispered something to her manager.

Meanwhile, Choi Seong-gon, who had moved later than Miley Cara, asked Woo-jin.

"What were you secretly talking about?"

With a nonchalant expression, Woo-jin paused for a moment before answering.

"I don't remember it well."

He was speaking the truth.

The next morning.

Despite the dramatic events of the previous day, Woo-jin's schedule remained largely unchanged. He hurried to get ready for work at the 'Pierrot: The Birth of a Villain' filming location. However, as he washed his hair in the bathroom, his mind was filled with thoughts of Cara.

"······I still can't believe it."

While Woo-jin was in the middle of washing up, one of the major Hollywood media outlets broke an exclusive story.

"LA TIMES: Last year, Miley Cara Nearly Died on Set; Her Life Was Saved by the Center of Attention, Kang Woo-jin"