Chapter 29 : The Art Of Bickering

The sun was high in the sky as Aditya settled himself into the chariot, his back straight and his expression exuding an air of easygoing charm. He leaned back with a relaxed sigh, taking in the vibrant surroundings as the horses stood ready for their journey. Across from him, Draupadi climbed into the chariot with far less subtlety, tossing her long braid over her shoulder with a huff.

Draupadi, with her bright eyes and fiery spirit, was nothing short of a storm waiting to happen. She was the younger sister of Avika, and much like her older sibling, she had a sharp mind and an even sharper tongue. Her gaze fell on Aditya as she arranged herself on the cushioned seat opposite him, her eyebrows raised in a way that made it clear she was already preparing for battle.

Aditya, ever the teasing younger brother of Karna, caught her expression and grinned, a mischievous twinkle lighting up his eyes. "Oh, don't look so pleased, Draupadi. I know you couldn't wait to share a chariot with me."

Draupadi rolled her eyes, crossing her arms over her chest as she shot him a look of pure exasperation. "Please, Aditya. The only thing I couldn't wait for was to get this journey over with. If I had a choice, I'd be anywhere but here, sharing a ride with you."

Aditya's grin widened as he leaned forward slightly, resting his elbows on his knees. "Admit it, you enjoy my company. What was it you said the other day? 'Aditya, you're like a thorn in my side, but the kind I just can't get rid of.' Wasn't that it?"

Draupadi's lips twitched as she tried to suppress a smile, her gaze narrowing at him. "That wasn't a compliment, you know. You're like a persistent mosquito—annoying, loud, and impossible to ignore."

"Ouch," Aditya said, placing a hand dramatically over his heart. "You wound me, Draupadi. Really, how do you manage to be so charming all the time?"

Draupadi let out a snort, finally letting the smile she'd been holding back tug at her lips. "It's a talent. One I seem to have developed just to deal with you."

Their banter continued as the chariot set off, the wheels creaking as they rolled along the well-worn path toward Hastinapur. The forest-lined road stretched out ahead of them, dappled sunlight filtering through the trees and casting a warm, golden glow over the landscape.

For the first few miles, Aditya and Draupadi kept up their relentless back-and-forth, each taking playful jabs at the other. Aditya would comment on Draupadi's perpetually neat braid, teasing her for how much time she must spend perfecting it. Draupadi, in turn, would mock his obsession with his appearance, pointing out the way he constantly checked his reflection in the small mirror he kept tucked into his tunic.

"You're just jealous of my impeccable hair," Aditya said, running a hand through his perfectly styled locks with a wink. "I can't help it if I'm naturally gifted in the looks department."

Draupadi raised an eyebrow. "Naturally gifted? Please. I've seen you spend more time in front of a mirror than I do, and that's saying something."

Aditya chuckled, not the least bit offended. "Can't blame me for wanting to look good. Besides, it's all part of the package. A handsome face and a winning personality—what more could you ask for?"

Draupadi shook her head, laughing softly. "You're impossible."

"And you love it," Aditya shot back, flashing her a grin.

Draupadi groaned, dramatically rolling her eyes. "If by 'love it' you mean 'barely tolerate it,' then sure."

The charioteer, trying his best to ignore the lively bickering behind him, urged the horses to pick up speed, the wind carrying the sounds of their banter through the trees. The journey was long, but neither Aditya nor Draupadi seemed to notice. They were too busy throwing playful insults and quips back and forth, their energy infectious.