6) Runes.

Clary woke up to the sound of Valerie crying. She panicked as she pushed herself out of bed and into the nursery next door. The room had a great arched roof and carvings of lake Lyn on the walls. She rushed over to the bay window where the cot was placed and reached in for the crying baby. Clary pulled up the corner of her top and let Valerie latch on. This was still painful after a while of doing it, there were definitely some hardships of parenthood. The baby had stopped crying now, her cheeks going back to soft pink. Clary looked down at her innocent baby and sighed, today was the day when Valerie received her marks of protection.

This reminded her of what had happened to Jace when he had become possessed by Jonathan and she cringed at the thought. She remembered the pain they had both been through that month and wished for it to never happen again. After feeding Valerie, Clary dressed her in a rich green dress and small lace up booties. She clipped the little girls short hair up with an emerald flower clip. Once she had finished dressing Valerie, Clary dressed herself, as did Jace. They sat down at the island in the kitchen and ate pancakes, fortunately not made by Izzy, before leaving through a portal Clary had made.

When they arrived, the silent brothers appeared from beyond the angel statue and invited the family inside. The baby's face contorted when she saw the stitches on the man's face and the deep hollows where his eyes should be, along with the white etched scars where his runes should have been. Jace rocked her in his arms and kissed her on the forehead. Her face looked peaceful after that, even when he handed her over to the brother for the ritual to begin.
Clary almost chewed her fingers to shreds during the wait. This was the first time she had left Valerie, other than when it was bedtime. Jace pressed his lips against her cheek and held her tight. Reassuring her that everything was just fine.

When Valerie finally returned Clary jumped up and snatched her off the brother "It's wonderful to see what compassion you have for your daughter" his laugh echoed in her head. Clary just smiled at him for a moment before she shifted her gaze back on the child. She was safe and everything was fine.