Chapter 42: Two Missions

At the Aurelia Pinehold base, after accepting the mission to return the items, Leon immediately went to find those who knew about the two objects.

The lifeless lava worm egg was easier to locate, as the chef at the base was quite interested in it. The moment he saw Leon with the egg, he called him over.

After a conversation, the chef informed Leon that the lava worm egg was a well-known delicacy from the Storm Islands, but it had been many years since they last caught a lava worm, let alone found a usable lava worm egg.

The lava worm egg that Leon brought was just right for cooking because it had lost its vitality. Beast tamers wouldn't use it for training lava worms.

Of course, the chef wouldn't take the egg for free. He told Leon that he would give him a unique recipe from the base, [Iron Mud Worm Supply Meal], and also allow him to watch as he made the dish. How much Leon could learn depended on his own comprehension.

After exchanging the lava worm egg for the recipe, the chef immediately got to work. He stayed by the base's fire pit most of the time, cooking there regularly.

However, this time, he changed the location of his cooking since the flames here weren't hot enough for the dish.

The chef gestured for Leon to follow him to a clearing behind the base, which was a sunken area with no buildings around.

Upon arriving, the chef gathered some steel fragments from nearby, piling them together to form a makeshift stove. He then found some firewood and started a small fire.

Compared to the large fire in the plaza outside, this fire was pitifully small. Leon figured the flame from his portable cooking set would be larger than this.

But the chef seemed quite satisfied with it. He nodded and positioned the lava worm egg on the stove.

That's right, the lava worm egg's shell itself was used as cookware. Besides, no matter how big the fire was, it wouldn't make a difference. Lava worms live in magma, so fire has no effect on them.

After securing the lava worm egg, the chef took a small hammer and slowly tapped the top of the egg, carefully opening a thumb-sized hole at the top of the shell.

Leon then saw the chef continuously fill the hole with various seasonings and oils, as if he intended to stuff the entire egg.

At first, Leon tried to keep track of the ingredients, but the chef moved too quickly, and he only managed to remember a few, unable to note them all.

Soon, the seasonings and oils began to overflow from the hole, at which point the chef applied some black mud to the outside of the lava worm egg.

After completing this step, the chef poured some alcohol into the hole and lit it. A blue flame ignited at the top of the egg.