Two Shadows, One Promise

Ship - Soukoku

Timeline - Future

Includes - Fluff and a bit of Smut

Dazai paced back and forth in his small apartment, the ticking of the clock on the wall serving as the only sound in the room. His usual air of nonchalance was absent, replaced by something uncharacteristically restless. In his hand, he held a small black box, and inside was a ring, simple yet elegant, chosen carefully to suit Chuuya's taste. A plan was forming in his mind, but the weight of it, the seriousness, made even Dazai feel unsettled.

He'd faced death, betrayal, and chaos with a grin, but proposing to Chuuya was an entirely different battlefield. How did one even approach someone like Chuuya with something so... sincere? The man would probably scoff at any overly romantic gesture, accuse him of being a fool, or worse, of not taking it seriously enough. Dazai chuckled to himself, imagining the scenarios.

But beneath that surface bravado, he knew how much this mattered. Chuuya had been his partner for years, both in the dangerous, shadowy underworld they navigated and in the quiet moments when the world faded away. Chuuya had seen through his facade more than anyone else, and despite their explosive arguments and constant bickering, they were undeniably bound together.

Dazai stopped pacing and stared at the ring again. He remembered the first time he truly realized his feelings for Chuuya ran deeper than partnership or rivalry. It had been during one of their missions, one that went wrong, as they so often did. Chuuya had thrown himself into danger without hesitation, as always, but something in Dazai had cracked that day. The thought of losing him ...losing Chuuya... had filled him with a rare, raw fear. And that's when it clicked. Chuuya wasn't just his partner, he was his reason to keep living, he was his everything.

Of course, Dazai being Dazai, he had kept that revelation to himself, burying it beneath layers of snark and insults, too afraid to confront the vulnerability. But now, after years of dancing around the truth, he couldn't do that anymore. He wanted Chuuya by his side for real this time, not just as his partner in battle, but as his partner in life.

The question was how.

Chuuya wasn't one for grand gestures, and Dazai wasn't one for traditional romance. He needed something personal, something that spoke to them, their history, their bond, and the way they were together. That's when the idea struck him.

It was dusk when Dazai brought Chuuya to the riverbank, the same place they'd often gone after particularly grueling missions. The sky was painted with shades of orange and pink, casting a warm glow over the city. Chuuya, dressed casually in his usual trench coat, narrowed his eyes suspiciously at Dazai.

"Why the hell did you drag me out here, idiot?" Chuuya asked, his voice gruff as always, though there was a hint of curiosity behind the irritation.

Dazai grinned, slipping his hands into his pockets. "Can't I just enjoy a nice evening with my beloved partner?"

Chuuya scoffed, crossing his arms. "Tch, as if. You're up to something. I can feel it."

Dazai chuckled but didn't respond immediately. Instead, he walked toward the edge of the river, letting the soft breeze ruffle his hair. After a moment, Chuuya followed, standing next to him, though he kept a wary distance.

"You know," Dazai began, his tone unusually soft, "we've been through a lot together."

Chuuya glanced at him, arching an eyebrow. "Yeah? What's your point?"

Dazai turned to face him fully, and for once, there was no teasing smile, no glint of mischief in his eyes. Instead, there was something raw, something real. It took Chuuya off guard.