Chapter 24

x Taylor x

Jason came back about an hour later, his eyes red and swollen. He's been crying. My first instinct was to run and hug him and never let him go, but after what had happened earlier, I was able to control myself. I gave him a small smile as he walked past me. He looked at me, hesitated, and then kept walking, disappearing into my room. I sighed and pulled three mugs out of the cupboards. I would give anything to turn back the clock and stop Jovan from dying. But then it would have been Jason...

I shake my head. I would never let anything happen to Jason. He's been, and is still going through, so much.

My thoughts were interrupted when Jason appeared again, a pillow in hands. He flopped down on the old couch and stared blankly at the ceiling.

I frowned as I poured milk into the three mugs and placed them in the microwave.

"You don't have to sleep there, you know." I say, breaking the silence.

He doesn't say anything, just keeps his eyes fixed on the boring ceiling.

____________________

Author's Note: Hm, what do you think? Tell me!! Also, prolly over ten chappies till the finale. Goshhh I never thought this story wud b so long!! Im proud of myself!! lol <3 Much Love!! COMMENT VOTE AND FANN!

"You can have my bed. I'll sleep with James." I tell him.

Again, zero sounds. No movements. I heave a sigh.

"Soothe yourself." I pull the mugs of milk out of the microwave and begin adding powdered chocolate to them. Once finished, I grab one and take it over to Jason.

"I never wanted things to turn out this way." I say as I place the mug on the coffee table beside him. "And no matter what, Jase, I still love you." I bring my lips down to meet his cheek. He closes his eyes as I pull away. His fists are clenched but he stays completely still.

I give him a sympathetic look as I walk away, taking the other two mugs: one for James and one for me.

• • •

I lay in my bed unable to fall asleep. I've been probably lying here for an hour already, my eyes moist from tears which have been trying to escape. I reach over and turn on my bedside lamp. I sit up, looking around my small bedroom. I needed Jason here with me...beside me. I missed him.

I swung my legs off the bed and stood up, stumbling over to the door and slowly opening it. It creaked, the noise seeming louder than it probably was. I tip-toed to the living room, Jason's silhouette visible on the couch. His breathing was soft and gentle. He was asleep, curled up on the sofa. His pillow was lying helplessly on the floor. I frown and walk back to my room, prying the covers off my bed and heading back to Jason. I pull the covers over him and take the pillow off the floor, slowly placing it beneath his head.

"Don't." He groans suddenly and begins to take the covers off himself.

"Stop that." I mutter and hold the covers down on him. "Stop being so stubborn."

He doesn't say anything. His eyes simply stares back at me in the darkness.

"Get some rest." I tell him. "Jovan's funeral is in the morning."

He quickly looks away and I could have sworn I saw a tear slip down his face.

"He would like you to be there," I whisper. "He saved your life."

"Please leave." Jason says. "I can't..." His voice fades and buries his face in his pillow, his hand gripping the covers tightly.

"It wasn't your fault." I say at least and make my way back to my room, tears betraying me.