Chapter 6

Haley's POV

"And then Patrick Rosson sneezed on me." I retold the disgusting story from the graduation practice that had taken place only under an hour ago. Charlie followed behind me as my feet prodded the steps.

I pushed open the door to my bedroom as Charlie's eyes scanned over everything. I rolled my eyes at him as he came in front of where I was sitting. He leaned down and held my waist, bringing me to my knees so I was at the same level as him. I wrapped my arms around his neck as I looked at him.

"What?"

"Just kiss me."

I obeyed his command and pushed our lips together. We pulled away and looked at each other, pushing our foreheads together.

"That was nice." He chuckled.

"And you're corny." I laughed, playfully pushing him back.

"Way to ruin a perfectly good moment, Rhodes."

I nodded and leaned in to place one last kiss to his lips. I smiled then lightly pulled away.

"Why don't we watch some TV now and then I'll order pizza later?" I suggested.

"Sounds like a plan." He smiled.

I grabbed the remote from my bedside table and clicked the TV on.

Charlie scooted to the head board as I laid my head on his shoulder. As I did that he swung his arm around me.

I felt so comfortable and safe with him. It felt right yet so foreign to me.

*********

Charlie's POV

I deeply breathed in and out while tracing circles on Haley's back.

She fell asleep about 30 minutes ago so I just stayed up and kept watching TV.

My phone began to vibrate on the wooden side table next to the bed.

I quickly grabbed it to shut if off before it woke up Haley.

I opened the message and it was from Wes, my close friend and teammate.

+

From Wes:

We need you down at the ice. Emergency team meeting. Went to your house earlie but you weren't there. Where are you?

+

To Wes:

I'm with Haley for tonight. What's the emergency?

+

My phone buzzed again after I sent the text.

+

From Wes:

It's a big emergency. Get down here now.

+

I sighed before typing my response.

+

To Wes:

Fine. On my way.

+

I gently slipped from Haley's tiny body and grabbed my keys, jacket, and phone.

Before I walked out of Haley's room I lightly kissed her head.

She stirred a little at my touch but kept sleeping.

I swear I'm going to kill those guys for making me leave her.