•sixteen

"Everything will break."

•lucas

"Lucas?" She asked, almost as if she didn't believe that I was standing there.

"Maya what's talking so long with the pizza?" Farkle questioned, walking over to the door.

Farkle gave me the same look and then Riley walked over and gave me the look again. None of them could believe I was standing there in front of them.

I waited for Maya to say anything to me, but she just looked at me with her mouth wide open.

"What are you doing here?" Riley asked.

"I came back," I replied.

"Where have you been?" Farkle demanded.

I sighed, "I've been in Boston. I was a Franklin for the last couple of months taking class, but now I'm back."

Riley nodded, "We can see that."

Farkle opened up the door more and motioned for me to come in. I walked in slowly and pulled my suitcases in the apartment.

Whenever I left almost six months ago this apartment looked different. Maya and Riley had their stuff set up everywhere, but none of that was there anymore. The apartment was full of Riley and Farkle's stuff.

"The place looks nice," I said, nervously.

"Seriously dude, that's all you can say. You left over six months ago and all you can get out is the place looks nice. I think you owe Maya a huge explanation  about a lot of stuff!" Farkle yelled. 

I had never seen Farkle like this before. He was never the type of guy that got mad and yelled at people. Farkle liked to keep things calm and collected.

"You are absolutely right," I replied.

Maya still hadn't said anything to me. She was looking at me, but nothing came out of her mouth.

"Maya can I talk to you, alone?" I asked.

"Absolutely not!" Riley interrupted.

"You really think we are going to let her alone with you," Farkle said.

Then Maya spoke up for the first time, "Guys it's okay."

"Maya you can't be serious," Farkle replied.

"I want to hear what he has to say," Maya sighed, "Let's go over to my apartment."

Her apartment? Did she over out?

I followed her across the hall to apartment I used to share with Farkle. She let me go in first and then shut the door after she came in.

"You can sit at the table if you want," She said.

I sat down in one of the seats and she sat down across from me.

Before I started talking to her I couldn't help myself from staring. She looked so much better. She looked even more beautiful now.

"Don't. You don't get to look at me like that anymore," She sounded hurt as she said it.

"Not allowed to look at you like what?"

"You can't look at me like you used to. You can't look at me and things will magically go back to the way the were before. I loved you and you just left me. Lucas you left me and started dating one of my friends."

"I only started dating her, because I never thought that I would see you again. I was so sure that I had lost you forever. Everyone kept telling me to move on so that's what I did."

"Everyone kept telling me to move on too, but I never dated your best friend."

"I'm not even dating her anymore."

"I doesn't matter. I don't think that I'll ever be able to forgive you for that."

"Maya I left, because you said you never wanted to see me again. You broke up with me."

"I broke up with you, because you were keeping secrets from me. And I came back early from Shawn's funeral all ready to work things out, but you were gone. You never even said goodbye. And do you know what hurt most of all? I liked you more than I ever liked anyone else and you tossed me away in the blink of an eye like I never meant anything to you. And it hurts the most because you proved my greatest fear."

"I promised that I would never let you go. The whole reason you didn't want to date me was, because you thought I was going to break you heart and that's just what I did."

She didn't say anything, but she just nodded.

I said, "I listened to your voicemail."

"What voicemail?" She asked.

"The voicemail you sent me, when you were drunk. And oh my god I swear I've never cried harder listening to how much you miss me. But now it's ironic because it couldn't be farther from the truth."

"Lucas what did you expect when you came back? Did you expect me to run into your arms and everything would go back to normal?"

"I don't know what I expected to be honest. Maybe just that you would listen to what I had to say."

She listened. She did just what I thought she would do.

We both sat there in silence just listening to the rain and thunder outside. I couldn't tell if she wanted me to leave or not so I sat there waiting for her to say anything.

"Do you have a place to stay?" She said really quietly.

"I was just going to get a hotel somewhere until I figured things out."

"If you want you can stay here."

"Okay."

-

Maya explained that Riley and Farkle moved in together so that they would be ready for the baby when it came. Maya moved into my old room so I ended up sleeping in Farkle's old room.

She helped me make my bed as I was getting ready for bed.

"Are you going to be okay tonight?" I asked, referring to the thunderstorm.

"Yeah. I've got Jerry."

"Okay. Goodnight."

"Night."

I stood there watching her walk out of the room.

"I'm still in love with you," I said.

She stopped for a second, but she never turned back around.

I'm still in love with her. I've always been in love with her.

-

Lucas and Maya are now roommate.