•forty-three

"Sometimes you have to be apart from the people you love, but that doesn't mean you love them any less. Sometimes you love them more."

•lucas

She stood there quietly. The small boy next to her was holding onto a toy truck. The toy truck looked familiar. I got that same truck for my eighth birthday. Quinn saved up all her money so that she would buy that for me.

I looked back at Maya. I couldn't explain how much I loved her in that moment. I wanted to kiss her right there.

She nudged my side, "Go talk to her."

I leaned over and kissed her cheek. She looked back at me and smiled. Maya started walking further down the beach and I made my way over to my sister.

We stared at each other for a moment. Then my eyes fell to the small boy. Quinn smiled as she put her hand on top of his head and moved his hair out of his face.

"Hi Lucas," He said, "I'm Noel Vincent."

I extended my hand and he did the same. We shook hands.

"Hi Noel Vincent," I replied, "I like your truck."

"Mommy said that is was yours when you were my age."

"Yeah she gave that to me for my birthday."

"I can't believe you remember that," Quinn who had been quite this whole time spoke up, "Hello Lucas."

I smiled at her and before I could say hi back she wrapped her arms around me.

"I can't believe that I'm finally meeting you. It's been so long," I said.

Quinn whispered into my chest, "I never stopped thinking about you."

-

After the initial shock that I was going through things calmed down.

Quinn and I sat down in the sand as we watched Noel Vincent play in the sand.

"You have a kid. I can't believe that I'm an Uncle!" I exclaimed.

"When I got pregnant with him six years ago it definitely changed my life. I stopped traveling around the world once I found out. We settled down in San Diego and I became a stay at home mom. Will works for a computer company a few minutes away from our house."

"Who's Will?"

"Noel's dad and my husband."

"How long have you been married?"

I saw the invitation, but I couldn't remember the date.

"We have been married for almost four years now. I sent an invitation to mom and dad. I was hoping that they would give it to you."

"I never got it."

"That doesn't surprise me. I was always a screw up according to them."

They thought I was a screw up now. They never thought I would stand up for myself.

Quinn smiled at Noel. He was chasing the birds away with his toy truck.

"I told Noel about you. He wanted you to come to every birthday party that he had. If I had known you were out here I would have invited you," She said.

"I've only been out here for a year and a half," I stated.

"Last time I heard you were trying to get into Franklin. How did you end up on the opposite side of the country?" She asked.

Maya. Maya was the reason I wasn't chasing after that dream. I was chasing after my new dream of being with her.

I smiled and looked over to where Maya was sitting. She was on her phone. Riley was probably on the other end. She caught me staring and blew a kiss in my direction.

Quinn asked, "Does it have anything to do with Maya?"

I smiled, "I came to California to chase one dream, but when I got here I found something even more important."

"Do you love her?"

"More than anything."

"Keep her close. I know how it feels to leave someone behind and I wouldn't do that to Maya. If she is willing to put up with you she is definitely a keeper."

I faked a smile, "Thanks."

"No problem little brother."

We sat there together for a few more minutes before Noel came running back to us. Quinn explained that Will was waiting for them at home. Since it was Christmas Eve I understood and told them it was okay.

"I will see you soon little brother," She hugged me, "You have my number so make sure that you call me."

"I will."

Noel Vincent quickly hugged me before he had to leave.

I watched them walk off together. She held his hand and he continued to play with his truck. Once that were out of slight I walked back over to Maya.

Once Maya was close enough I grabbed her and pulled her into a tight hug. I wanted her to feel close to me.

"I love you," I said.

"I love you too," She replied.

How could I ever repay Maya for what she did. She just gave me the best Christmas gift ever.

"I think we should head back to the hospital," Maya said.

I was going to agree with her, but I didn't respond back. I couldn't think of anything to say.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

I pointed to a man standing a few feet away.

"Is that Shawn?" She asked.

"I think so."

-

I'm backkkkkk

Please don't hate me! I couldn't think of stuff to write and school was getting extremely difficult. If anyone is still out there reading this book thank you!

I feel so bad that you guys had to wait almost three months for another chapter. I will try to update again tonight or tomorrow!

I Love you guys

Xoxoxoxo