Chapter 6: Suspicions

Charlotte excitedly withdrew the original version of Carrie from under her bed. It had been two or three days since Toby's little "Masky problem" and Charlotte wanted to test something.

"Why did you get the 70's version of that movie?" Toby asked as he laid on the floor with a slight existential crisis.

"Experimenting,~" the girl chimed. Toby just stared in confusion, making her groan.

"Okay, you think you like Masky. The first scene of this movie is literally in the girls' locker room. If you catch my drift," she had to explain. Still stupefied, Toby stared.

"They're changing and shit like that. If he doesn't seem the least bit interested, we'll know if you have a chance."

"Oh. Wait, how can you handle it?"

"Because I'm a woman so shut it."

Masky opened the door and saw the movie in the female proxy's hand.

"Movie night is cancelled Tiny Tits. Me and Toby were assigned another mission," he told Charlotte, who glared daggers at him.

"Stop calling me that you bag of dicks!" Toby held back a laugh at that. That was probably the greatest thing called he had ever heard. "Bag of dicks," he was definitely going to start using that now. Masky just sighed.

"Okay, fine. Toby get your stuff. We leave in ten minutes," he said before leaving. Toby grabbed his hatchets and ran downstairs.

* * * * *

"A couple, parents, mid thirties. They live in a pigsty of a house and constantly abuse and neglect their four year old daughter. You see, Toby, we don't always kill innocent people. Sometimes we kill people who deserve it." Masky jimmied the back window open, gagging once he got it open.

"It makes you wonder, how... What's the right word? What makes a person just let this shit happen? Like, if they have some sort of infection and it literally takes a maggot to crawl out of their arm to consider going to the doctor," Toby said. Masky looked at him.

"Maggot in an arm?"

"You know what I mean, they wait til it's at its worst stage to take action."

"Whatever. Get your ass in here." Masky crawled in through the window and motioned for Toby to follow.

The sight of the place hit him before the smell. Stains all over the walls and floors. Empty bear bottles, packaged food boxes and month old chunks of food strewn about. Animal shit. The works. The entire place smelled of vomit, shit, piss, rot, and the smell of alcohol was fairly strong, Toby wondering if you could even get drunk off the strong smell of beer. Toby shined a light on the wall. There was a slight hole in the wall and a slightly red substance around the rim.

"Please tell me they just threw a wine bottle at the wall," he murmured, painful memories clouding his mind.

"Watch your step. I don't think that's chocolate on the ground," Masky said.

... Creak...

Out came a small girl from a cupboard under the stairwell. She stared at the proxies, sort of scared, but her eyes mostly pleaded for help.

"H-Help me please," she whispered.

"We'll be sure you get to a better place," Toby said.

"Who the hell's down there?!" That was a male voice. Quickly there was a thumping down the stairs. Toby and Masky hid behind a wall, and the young girl followed them. However, she slipped and fell, knocking over a lamp.

"You fucking piece of shit!" Toby felt rage boil in his veins and his stomach churn when he heard the young girl screaming in pain. He ran out and towards the man.

"Toby wait!" Too late. Toby tackled the evil father of this poor girl, who pushed off the proxy. Masky saw the wife come down, then run back upstairs. He grabbed his knife and ran upstairs after her.

"Stupid punk ass teen," the man said as he shoved Toby to the ground. Toby stood up but was tackled by the man, who sent them straight through the window. Shattered glass flew everywhere as the landed on the grass outside. Toby grabbed his other hatchet and kicked the man in the crotch. Then quickly he slammed the hatchet into the man's face. He pushed off the dead corpse and panted. Soon came Masky, carrying a terrified little girl and the hatchet Toby dropped.

"Okay kid, run to the neighbour's house and tell them about everything," Masky told the girl as he put her down. She immediately ran for the nearest neighbour's house. Masky looked at Toby and touched his cheek.

"You got a cut here," he said. Toby's face went red. His arm twitched slightly.

"O-Oh, must've been cut by the g-glass," he stuttered. Masky got up.

"We should go before the cops get here. Plus we need a shower after crawling through that place."

As Toby laid in bed awake, his chocolatey hair still somewhat wet, he knew that that slight touch from Masky confirmed the feelings he had for the masked male.