Chapter 20: Wake Up

Toby's eyes shot open, only to be met by some sort of bandage. He reached up and tore off the bandages, throwing them to the ground. He then pulled the tubes out of his arms and nose and thew the blanket off his body. He was on top of a bloodied hospital bed in a seemingly abandoned infirmary. The floors were cracked, the walls had mould growing on them, and plaster occasionally fell from the ceiling.

"What the fuck?" Toby mumbled under his breath as his neck cracked. He sat up, noting the fact he wasn't wearing the clothes he wore when...

When...

When what?

He had no idea what happened. All he remembered was crying over his boyfriend and that the clothes he was wearing were not the clothes he wore when he woke up. Blue jeans and a white shirt, no, he didn't wear jeans that day. And the shirt was a different colour, he didn't wear a white shirt.

Ah, these were the clothes from the hospital I was given after...

After the crash.

Toby stood up, bare feet touching the cold floors. He approached the door carefully, not sure what to expect outside. It was an abandoned living room, the couch cushions were torn up and so were the walls. Under his feet was some sort of sticky substance. Blood. He approached the front door, finding that it was locked. He looked out the window and saw blackness. Like someone had painted the window black. He decided to look upstairs.

He took the first door on his left. A bunk bed, though the metal frame was heavily rusted. There was an outline of someone on the bottom bunk, but there was nothing there. Somehow, that bunk had a warmness to it, like if you were cold and someone was to hug you. Toby smiled, then remembered that this bunk belonged to a dear friend of his.

Oh Char, where'd you guys go? Toby climbed to the top bunk, then saw that there was a kidney and bloodstains on it. Then it hit him, in his left side. It was a warm sensation.

He knew this wasn't pain though.

Pain. An entirely new concept to Toby. He equated the feeling of physical pain to emotional pain. However, this wasn't like either of those. It was just warm. He lifted his shirt and saw stitches. He went to go touch the kidney.

There was a loud combination of static and a scream while Toby's vision blurred. Suddenly, the kidney swelled up and popped, blood splattering all over him. He looked at the stitches again and saw they were bleeding. Slowly, he got back down and left the room.

The next door was right next to the one he was in. The moment he entered his was hit with so many things at once. The room fluctuated between hot and cold a few times before it went to warm. The air felt heavy, kind of like if you were to work out a lot. There were many scents that hit him too. The smell of clean sheets, waffles, cheesecake, and Tim.

Tim...

Tim?

Who's Tim?

That name sounded familiar to Toby, but he couldn't put a finger on it. His shirt began to stick to him, he was sweating from the heat. He took a few steps into the room, his legs shaking slightly. He reached the bed, then his legs gave out. Toby hit the ground hard, then looked under the bed. A mask, a white mask. He pulled it towards him and looked it over. The lips and eyes were black. The room began to fluctuate between hot and cold, then it went cold and black and white. Then the memories of who the mask belonged to hit him.

This mask was Tim's.

Tim was Toby's boyfriend.

Toby's dead boyfriend.

Toby began to sob loudly, clutching the mask to his chest. Then he heard it again, the screams and static, accompanied by other noises. Tires screeching against the ground, shattering glass and clashing metal, monotone beeps, gunshots, laughing, all of them blended together in some sickening orchestra. Toby covered his ears as blood began to run down from his eyes, nose, mouth, and ears.

"SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP!!!! LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!" Suddenly, his vision blurred and he felt his mind go blank. Then it went black.

It was still black when he heard the footsteps. Then they stopped. There was a voice.

"Toby, even if you're still mad at me, you need to choose. Either you wake up or die," it said.

"I don't even know why this is happening!" Toby cried out. The voice sighed.

"I'll give you time to think," it said. Then there was the sound of footsteps walking away.

"Oh my god," Toby mumbled.

I'm in a coma.