Chapter XXIV: Reunited

Before setting out for the hike to go fetch Joseff from the mountains, the Bringers of Hope decide to stop for lunch. Lady Quintly had given them a small pouch of gold coins before they had left the palace. Just before the gate on the town's edge, there is a restaurant that made been making delicious smelling chicken when they first arrived. They had decided to eat there.

After they had stuffed themselves full of chicken and potatoes, they decide they shouldn't waste anymore time. The guardsmen opens the gate for them to get back out into the world.

"Are you excited to go see Crito?" Drayk asks as the gate closes shut.

"I am! It's been a long time since I seen him last! To him maybe not though," Roku jokes.

Time outside the Forgotten Forest hasn't gone by as much as it did while they were there. To them, this journey has already consumed almost a half of a year. The rest of the world however, just over a week has passed since they first started.

"I can only imagine."

"Let's hurry! I want to make it there by sundown!"

Roku sprints ahead, her arms spread out as she runs. It looks as though she is a kid trying fly. She even flaps her arms slightly. What a ball of energy she is Drayk thinks to himself. Roku starts doing cartwheels and skipping until she is several dozen yards away. Drayk sighs and jogs to catch up to her.

The mountains to the east. Roku's home. Trying to picture what Crito looks like in his head, Drayk ponders over how excited she must. This is the first time Roku has ever been without her Master since she was no more than a child. He watches her dance around as they make their way up a steep hill. The mountain range appearing to be bigger as they approach it.

"How far do you suppose Crito's is from here?" Drayk asks her.

"It's not very far. Just a few peaks over!" Roku calls back to him from up ahead.

"A few more peaks?!"

"Well yeah, the city of Oro is huge, and you can't see any towns from where my master lives!"

Just perfect Drayk thinks to himself. Leon had not been kidding when he said this was to be a very long journey. Drayk was sure Leon didn't know they'd end up having to detour a few times, even after reaching Oro. If magic wasn't so tiring to use for transportation, he would never walk again. Walking can feel like it takes forever when you haven't had much chance to stay in one place for long. Knowing that they have to do what they can to put an end to all of this.

Looking back, Roku realizes how much further ahead she is of Drayk. She slows down to a walk to let him catch up. Thoughts of Crito come to her mind. Crito never mentioned any friends, although she was really surprised to find out he knew Leon. Even if Joseff is her master's friend, it doesn't explain why he'd be there now. The last twenty years Crito has spoken to no one but her. If Joseff knows the rest of the prophecy, why would he leave Oro? This just didn't make sense to her.

Finally catching up to Roku, Drayk sees a short flat mountain just a few more miles out. It was more like a tall and sloped plateau than any kind of mountain. It almost seems out of place here. All the over peaks are so pointed it would be impossible for someone to actually stand at the very top.

Just a little while longer, Drayk thinks looking up at the plateau up close. The smell of cooking fish carries it's way to them. The Bringers begin their ascension up the hillside. Looking to left, Drayk notices a stream of water actually flowing uphill. He shakes his head and rubs his eyes, thinking it is an illusion. Opening his eyes, he realizes there are no natural laws magic cannot dispute.