Chapter XXXVII: Synn

A strange feeling enveloped Roku entirely. Something she could not explain. It was like she is feeling so many emotions at once that it left completely speechless. Here she was in the middle of nowhere, and she found herself being hugged by a woman claiming to be her mother. Drayk couldn't help but feel surprised seeing an older version of Roku standing in front of him.

"I thought you were dead Riinah!" Synn cries out with happiness, "All these years I grieved for you dear."

"M-mom?" Roku studders.

"Yes dear," Synn smiles, "So it is true. I hadn't truly believed it till I have seen you here now. Standing before me. Princess Riinah still lives. What I heard in the winds is true."

"And Bringer of Hope, ma'am," Drayk politely added.

"Please come in," Synn welcomes them.

Inside the cottage felt warm and welcoming. A warmth so soothing, even Lady Parocaav would feel comfortable here. Drayk and Roku have never felt such tranquility before. Everything inside was covered in Wind Crests. In her own way, it was as if this woman was trying to immortalize her heritage. The walls were covered with loose pictures of Froz's castle. Pictures of Roku as a toddler. Memories Synn had clung to for all these years. Her furniture looked like she patched together remnants from within the castle walls. Synn's home was lit by candles all over the room.

"Please have a seat. I'm sure you have plenty of questions," Synn suggested.

Drayk and Roku sit down beside one another on the plush blue couch. Synn sits across from them in her old throne chair and looks at them with a smile. Seeing that the prophecy was true. Her daughter alive, well, and with incredible power.

"M-mother," Roku begins, "It is good to see you. You're no longer a faint memory from my past."

"I'm surprised you remember me at all. You were so young Riinah," Synn teased.

"Please mother, if you will. Roku is my name now," Roku tells her outright in one breath, shaking nervously.

"Of course. I understand you are quite fond of that name after all these years," Synn says to her in a sort tone.

"Synn, if I may ask...." Drayk starts to say, but can't seem to find the words.

"I know what you are going to ask me Bringer. I can see it in your eyes," Synn says with a smirk, "I have something I want to tell you first. Your sister Sammi is very much alive."

The look on Drayk's face vanish at her words. A sensation of confusion and happiness consume him. Could it be true? He has no reason to doubt her. It takes a moment before he can find words to speak.

"Sammi's alive?" Drayk asks.

"Yes. She has been with Kraag. The winds blow in from Fire Country a lot through here," Synn replies, "She has been chosen by Lord Xivaac for something. She has seen the inside of the Labyrinth of Time Drayk."

"Lord Xivaac and Kraag have my sister?!" Drayk exclaims.

Synn leans back in the chair without saying a word, then calmly explains, "She is whispering about you. I believe she might be up to something."

"Mother.... I don't even know where to begin," Roku joked.

"I've been here for a very long time. Living near the border of two very well protected countries doesn't allow for many visitors. I just listen to the winds. There isn't much I don't hear of what happens in this world. I knew of you who were. Such a determined little girl being trained by Crito. I had know idea you were my little girl though. You sounded like no other baby and disappeared amongst the winds. Drayk. I know you have trained very hard to put an end to this war. Enlisted at 17 using your father's credentials," Synn spoke with a soft and soothing tone, "Roku, my child. I condone your loss of Master Crito. He was master as well. I was his fifth pupil, so many, many years ago."

"Have you heard anything we should be aware of?" Drayk blatantly inquires.

"In good time. I would like to enjoy some time with my daughter after so many years lost in time," Synn smiles as she stands up,

Without saying anything further, Synn walks out of the room and down the hall. She lights a few candles as she enters the kitchen and grabs a bottle of quava wine from the cupboard. Four wine glasses sit next to the wine and she takes three for them. Synn rejoins the Bringers in the front room of her home. The glasses chime a gentle tone as she sets them on the low round table in front of the couch. Synn uncorks the bottle and pours them a glass.

"This calls for a toast," Synn smiles bright.

A few hours later ~

The sky is glowing with a radiant orange as the sun sets off in the distance. The valley of wind calm and quiet. The land starts to fade into twilight. Stars try to shine overhead in the darkening sky. The windows of the cottage are lit by the light inside. Synn's face goes from being joyful and happy to a more serious expression. The same thing happens to Drayk and Roku at the sight of Synn's actions.

"I am uncertain of what it is. I know nothing more of this than there is someone out there. I do not know who this person is. Whoever it is, he or she is a greater threat than Lord Xivaac himself. There is a dark and cold feeling in the winds every now and again. It is unclear if this is even a omen or not. To answer your question from before Drayk," Synn paused, "There is a heavy darkness in the air. For the sake of Parocaav. Be careful. Be vigilant."

"There couldn't really be someone more threatening and powerful than Lord Xivaac.... right?" Drayk gulps.

"We will manage. Lady Parocaav has chosen us. We possess the Ultimate Magic. Whatever or whoever it is.... We won't let it stop us from redeeming the fallen goddess. I won't let it stop me from avenging all who has lost their lives at the hand of the God of Darkness. I just won't. I know you won't either Drayk!" Roku states with bold confidence.

"I won't give up Roku. We will stop whatever we encounter. I have to get Sammi back and keep her safe after all!" Drayk agreed.

Synn gets up and walks up the stairs, not saying a word. She walks up the stairs to her room and grabs the dagger she had received from Kraag when they married. The dagger reflects her face in the blade. On one side of the handle was the crest of Wind and the crest of Ice was on the other.

"I am enthused by their confidence of the quest they are on," Synn whispers to herself, "I can only hope for their sake.... the power given to them will be enough. There just might be hope yet for this world."