Birds of a Feather

Jana sat along side Simeon as her father shot glares down the table, his hateful stares directed mostly at her. He was beyond upset with the way she had spoken of him and Neema. He was more angered with her harsh words then he was with Simeon's blatant groping of his daughter.

The friendship between her chosen mate and her father was one she couldn't quite understand, there was something more about it she couldn't put her finger on.

In all her years of living in this compound she had never seen Khan act so familiar with someone outside of his family. The way they had spoken to each other with such banter and humour was baffling. If Khan had caught any other man groping her in such a manner she knew heads would be rolling. With Simeon Khan had commented on it but brushed it aside, as if he did not mind his friend fondling his daughter.

Khan had in fact looked like he was pleased that her and Simeon were getting along which was absurd. He hadn't even brought up the topic of a mating. Khan had just given him a stern look which caused Simeon to raise his hands further up her back out of respect but still cling to her body.

When Khan seemed happy with the level of decency, he had slapped him with some mannish drivel. All thumping on backs, punching of arms and veiled threats and jokes. It was so confusing to watch. The threats were heavy and yet they were all made in humour as if it was normal.

"Simeon, how do you know my father?"

Jana was beyond curious to know how the two males had built such a friendship. Khan was not the easiest person to like and from what she had seen of Simeon they were hardly alike.

He was slightly possessive like Khan, it was shown from the way he gripped her body and dared any man to appraise her. He was nice though, Jana had heard from various people that when Khan had met Neema he had been cruel and neglectful. Going so far as to cause her bodily harm which had of course been reciprocated by his volatile wife.

The way Simeon handled her was with utmost care, as if she was a precious gem that would crumble in his fingers. She could never imagine Simeon hitting her but then she did not know him well enough to be sure about that.

Him and Khan could be one in the same. She loved khan, she genuinely did, he had done so much for her. Not many men would help raise a child that was not his and yet Khan hadn't even needed to be asked.

She did love him, he was the only father she knew and cared to know, but she would hate to be mated to a man who resembled his personality.

She would never find peace if she did. She was too feisty and mouthy and he was too stubborn and demanding. Everyone had too bend to Khan's will and she would be damned if Simeon tried that with her.

There was that saying though. 'Birds of a feather flock together.'

//--//

Khan stood by the fireplace watching the logs being swallowed up by the soldering heat of the fire. His hands were resting against the mantle as he contemplated the dilemma before him.

"You can't have her."

His back was still turned to the man who stood in the archway of the door. Khan did not fear having his back towards his friend, the man had seen him at his weakest point many times and had failed to stab the proverbial knife into his back. No, he was a trustworthy person, but Khan was not ready to let her go yet, not after today.

He still had amends to make, Neema was inconsolable and would continue to be so until their relationship with their daughter was mended. If she left the compound as they were, Khan feared they would loose her forever.