Forty-Five: Change

I could hear him everywhere. No matter where I sat in the studio I could hear him trying to describe a song, hitting things, explaining the stories he wants to tell with lyrics, and writing. Apparently the room was filled with some other high-status musicians helping him with the album process. I didn't want to interrupt so I sat outside in the empty lobby. I could hear their muffled laughter and little melodies being played on the instruments. No one was around me, so I saw my chance.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket and scrolled to Zuleika's contact. I needed to talk to her or anyone back home. I missed them so much, I needed to know about Paloma, and they needed to know about me. I hit call and waited as it rang.

"Hello?" her sweet voice picked up.

"Zulei?"

"Kath? Oh my god, Katherine? Mom! It's Katherine!" she squealed. "We've been worried sick about you guys. What the hell is wrong with you two?"

"I don't know... I'm sorry we should've told you were we were going."

"Nevermind that. Are you guys okay? Will you be home soon?" She seemed like she was about to explode with so many questions.

"N-no...we're kind of in another country..." I admitted.

"wHAT!" I heard her and her mother scream at the same time. "WHY?"

"Mika wants to work on album 3 now."

"Paloma isn't going to like that." Zuleika said with a quiet voice. What was it like for her, being in crippling pain in the hospital for almost a year now with her brother not there for her?

"How is she?" I asked. I needed to know.

"She's recovering well. She should be out of the hospital in a while but she's going through therapy and learning how to walk again." My heart dropped. "And she's not too happy with you and your boyfriend for leaving like that."

"I..."

"But she's not alone. We visit her a few times a week but there's someone who's been going to see her for months now." Zuleika giggled.

"What? Who?" The conversation suddenly went from sad to interesting.

"Jase!" I could tell she was smiling.

"Jase? You mean record store/fanboy Jase I used to work with?" I remembered him. Now that Zulei mentioned him I realized I haven't seen him in a long time. Quickly he became another person on my list of things I missed back home. Jase was one of my greatest friends that I didn't meet through Mika.

"Yeah! I think he loves her to be honest." My heart fluttered. Jase and Paloma? They would make quite the cute couple. He had the sweetest personality and sense of humor that Paloma would simply adore. The more I thought of it the more clear it became. Jase was seeing her every day. He cared.

"He comes every day on his lunch break and stays for a while, is what I'm told." My heart was screaming. Jase and Paloma! Jase and Paloma! I already shipped them so hard. I was pretty sure I was smiling like an idiot at the thought of them. Luckily I was alone.

"Oh my god they would be beautiful together!" I commented.

"I know! Exactly!" Zuleika was squealing out loud.

Someone cleared their throat and I looked up.

"Zu...I think I'm going to have to call you back." I said.

"What? Wh-" I ended the call before she could finish. I turned my phone off, guilty.

"Who were you talking to?" Mika asked, leaning up against the coffee brown wall. I couldn't meet his chocolate eyes. I knew Mika didn't want me to call home. I kind of ruined the whole 'escape' factor for him.