Eighteen: But She was Always POPULAR

• Dedicated to Melachi the Witch

"Where are you taking me?" I giggled as Mika ran through the streets, carrying me on his back. He had just finished his concert, which ran later than he expected. He sang for an extra hour and a half because people kept shouting out songs.

Mika was quite strong and agile, even though he had the extra weight of another person. He kept running through the trees, not giving off any signs of being tired. I, on the other hand, was clinging onto him with my arms wrapped around his neck. I was worried that I was choking him. My legs went around his waist, which he held onto.

"Here." Mika said, finally stopping somewhere in the middle of a park. He let me get off of him. I realized he had taken me to our tree. I immediately started climbing and sat on our branch. This was my 2nd time here, since I was reunited with Mika.

Not long after, Mika sat down on the branch next to me. My eyes scoured the place, looking for the engravings we carved into the tree. They were all there and still legible. I ran my hand over it, feeling the smooth and rough crevices and letting the pinching wood buffer my skin.

I slumped against Mika. I put my feet up on the branch and laid back, into Mika's strong chest. He wrapped his protective arms around me while I closed my eyes and just listened to his heartbeat. His shirt tickled my face and the buttons on it were pressed into my skin, but that didn't matter. The only thing I cared about was him.

"Um...excuse me." someone cleared their throat. I immediately scooted into an upright position, startled by the girly voice. I looked down and saw the figure of a perfectly slim woman, who appeared to be my age. She was dressed in jeans and a turtleneck top, but she wore a neon green vest. It was the type that the park gardeners wore, so she obviously worked to clean up the park. She held a long broom in one hand and a dustpan in the other.

"I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to get out of that tree." she said. I nodded and hopped down, scraping my ankle in the process. Mika effortlessly followed after me, and when he landed, he straightened out his blue button-up shirt. I faced the woman.

I could see her clearly now. She had pale skin, straight long blonde hair, and had perfectly done makeup. Even her eyeliner was perfectly winged, something that I could never do. She wore a black statement necklace and other matching black accessories.

"What's your name?" she asked. She started to study my face, squinting her eyes and scrunching her nose. Mika stared at her for a moment and his eyes darted to the ground. He quickly took a small step back and folded his hands, not making eye contact with the woman.

"Katherine. Katherine Ailsa." I answered, looking at a very uneasy Mika, and back to the blonde worker.

"Hmm, that's funny. I used to go to school with a girl named Katherine Ailsa Lester, but you're just Katherine Ailsa. You do look a lot like Katherine Lester, though." the woman said. Her voice was so familiar, as well as her appearance.

Lindsay?

I figured it out: she was Lindsay. That's why Mika stepped back and got nervous. Lindsay used to bother us when we were younger. It was her!

The realization shot pain through me and hatred sparked in me. But we were older now, and she probably regretted being such a bully. I couldn't hold a grudge for ten years. We were adolescent and confused, but now we were mature. I had to forgive and forget.

"I thought your middle name was Ailsa, not your last name." Mika suddenly whispered into my ear. I turned to face him and shook my head no. It was my middle name, up until my mother died. Then, I had to let go of my last name and replace it with my middle name. That was long ago.