Twenty-Five: Dinner with the Pennimans

"Ring ring. Is that you on the phone? You think you're clever but you're never saying nothing at all. Hey hey. The way you spin me around. You make me dizzy when you play me like a kid with a crown." my phone buzzed on Mika's chocolate brown coffee table. I ran into the living room and spotted my phone, which had an illuminated screen and was blasting my ringtone.

What? I thought 'Ring Ring' was an appropriate ringtone! ...I can feel you judging me...

"Hello?" I picked up the phone and answered.

"Kaaaaatherine!" Yasmine chimed in a very highpitched voice.

"Hey, what's up Yas?" I asked. I called Yasmine 'Yas' for short.

"Can you come over for dinner tonight? Fortuné, Zuleika, and Paloma are coming. You and Mika are invited, too." she said in her lovely voice. I was invited to a dinner with the Pennimans?

"Mom's also coming." Yasmine added.

"That sounds wonderful! I haven't seen Mrs. Penniman in years! I'll make sure it's okay with Mika." I informed her, and then walked to the kitchen, where Mika was leaning against the countertop, scrolling through Twitter.

"Hey love!" I diverted his attention away from his phone and to me as I walked into the kitchen.

"Hi!" Mika said, automatically embracing me.

"Ew, guys, stop acting all lovey and tell me if you're coming or not!" Yasmine said from the phone. Mika looked a bit startled at first, but then took my cell phone out of my hands.

I could only hear Mika's end of the conversation.

"Hey."

"Mhm..."

"Mom? Okay, we'll be there!" Mika said, glancing at me for a second. He took a slow step forward and wrapped one arm around my waist, pulling me closer into him. He held my phone in his other hand.

"Okay, see you at 7." Mika said, before flipping my phone shut.

"Did you want to change your outfit?" Mika awkwardly gestured to my summer dress, scratching his neck nervously.

"Not really, why? Is it a fancy dinner or something?" I questioned. I absolutely despised fancy dinners.

***Flashback***

"Bucket list, wishes, crazy things that you prefer." Mica said, staring into the blanketing darkness above him.

"Crazy things I prefer? Well, I will never ever go on a date with someone to a fancy restaurant. I'd rather get Chinese take out and watch a horror movie in my pajamas with them. Or go to McDonalds." I said. Truth is, I can't do fancy. You would have to dress up elegantly, do your make up right, and you would have to have good table manners. The atmosphere and the pressure to be perfect in those places are killer.

"Well your a low maintenance girl." he commented.

***Flashback End***

"No, it's not fancy. I just wasn't sure if girls liked to dress up for the occasion. I don't really know much about girls...so..." Mika folded his hands and stared at the mahogany wooden floor. "I haven't exactly been with a girl as long as I have been with you."

He was starting to make sense. He's probably dated multiple girls, but has never dated one as long as he's been dating me. I knew Mika wasn't the kind of person who would go around stealing girls' hearts and then breaking them the next day. I knew that Mika needed love more than anything, and when he got it, he'd treasure it with care. It was probably the girls who were playing with his heart.