Forty-Nine: Independent

Waking up to Mel licking and slobbering all over my face was an interesting way to start my morning. I opened my eyes and laughed, and she responded by licking my face once again. I sat up, and out of habit, looked to the side for Mika's sleeping figure. Empty. If today were any ordinary day, I could picture him sitting there, laughing at me and Mel. Unfortunately, today was not one of those days. I didn't feel the slightest bit disappointed. Dogs were better than people anyways. I didn't need a relationship to be happy.

Sunlight peeked through the curtains and begged for me to open them. After a while, I rolled out of bed and pulled aside the curtains, admiring the outside. I liked the thought of being independent. I liked the idea that my happiness didn't depend on Mika. With love or without love, I was still my own person. With all the traveling I did with Mika and how busy he was with his career, we never really had the time to sit back and appreciate much. But now I had time, I had my dog and my friends, and I was determined to make the most of it.

The air was cool, which made a warm shower sound even more amazing. I made breakfast and cleaned around the house as soft music played in the background. Once I was satisfied, I clipped on Mel's leash and we went for a walk. I admired everything, from soft pink flowers to birds singing in trees. The grass was a bright and beautiful shade of green and happy couples relaxed amongst it. Mel and I played fetch for a while.

On the walk home, I couldn't take the smile off my face. I hadn't gotten the chance to relax and enjoy myself in a while. Taking a break from stress in life felt so good. Mika was always busy and in the studio, and I wondered if relaxing like this would make him happy too. I did miss him, I missed his soft kisses and strong hugs, but I didn't allow myself to be saddened. Today was too good of a day.

My phone began blaring my ringtone, which was of course "Ring Ring" from Mika's first album. I remembered a while back he said he hated that song and never wanted to perform it again. I personally loved it. I answered it, and Zuleika's cheery voice began talking right away. "Kathers! Kathers!" she began.

"Yes?"

"Paloma leaves the hospital today!" she squealed in excitement. I could imagine the energetic expression on her face. The corners of my mouth tugged up into a smile that I couldn't suppress. I put a hand over my mouth. When Mika and I were away from home, all I wanted was to be able to see Paloma when she left the hospital. I hadn't seen her in ages and I wanted to hug her tightly for being so strong. I admired her, Zuleika admired her, and we loved her dearly.

Zuleika gave me the details and informed me that we were all going out to dinner to celebrate. That excited me even more. I'd get to be around Mika's family, who were my closest friends, and we could finally relax and catch up. I had so much to tell them and I bet they had a lot to tell me. On the way home, I bought a bouquet of roses. Mel studied them carefully and poked her nose in them. I had to take pictures because she was just so cute.

***The Hospital***

I arrived at the hospital where Paloma was staying and waited for Zuleika. When she arrived, we went inside together and found her mother, Fortuné, and Yasmine. Yasmine saw me first and almost knocked me over with her hug. She squeezed me tightly. "Kathers, oh my god you're safe! You're here!" she gushed. She pulled away and looked into my eyes. "We missed you so much." She pulled me back in. She finally let go, and I moved to Fortuné, who also embraced me. I had to stand on my toes; he's taller than his brother! Finally, I found myself in Mrs. Penniman's arms. She pushed the hair out of my eyes and tucked it behind my ear.

"Thank you so much for coming dear. We thought you and Mika wouldn't come back." she said.

"I wouldn't miss this for the world."