~Chapter One~

Silence. It was the only thing I had with me. Apart the chirps of crickets and tweet of birds. I'm not sure how long I've been walking, but I figure I could take a break. I look up to see the sun at the top of the sky, about mid-day. I have a watch in my bag, but it's best to look at the sky while you're own the move. I stopped and took my gun from its holster located at my waste, pointing it around the area as I checked its security. Once I was sure it was clean, I made my way into a set of apartments located across the street.

     The Apartments weren't nearly as tall as the surrounding sky-scrapers. The city was huge and dangerous, I was taking a big risk being here, but I need supplies. I begin walking on the first floor of apartments, passing by a maintenance closet before stopping at the first apartment door. First of all, I checked the knob. Locked, as to be expected, so I took a bobby pin from my hair and the knife from my pocket. After a minute of fidgeting, the door clicked open. Replacing the pin and knife, I got my gun out and slowly inched the door open.

     The room the door led to was the kitchen. I shut the door behind me and started peeking around. Nothing good was in here, probably looted already. But that wasn't much of a shock, Most everything these days was already looted. I opened the fridge to find some year old orange juice, but that was it. Sighing, I moved into the living room, which connected to the kitchen. It was small, only held a couch and a table in front of it.

     I pulled the curtains to the side to let some light it. Electricity ran out maybe a year back, my memory was a bit fuzzy. The room had nothing special, so I made my way to a door that was across from the couch. Inside was the bedroom. A twin bed and a dresser, with a closet and bathroom. These weren't very luxurious homes, I gathered. Inside the bathroom was a tissue box and some rash cream. I took the tissues from the box and stuffed them into the side pocket of my backpack, and then put the cream in my toiletries bag just in case.

     The apartment didn't hold anything else, so I moved on to the Second one down the line. I entered into the Living room this time, which was much larger and prettier than the last. This apartment was larger in all and more put together. Like the owners had money. I took a look around once more, finding nothing until I got to the kitchen. Under the sink were some Wet wipes, so I shoved them into my bag. I kept searching the cupboards until I hit a jackpot! A half full box of granola bars! I greedily dumped them onto the counter and counted four of them. I smiled to myself and happily put them into my pack.

     The rest of the apartment fell useless and I went onto the third one, then the fourth, and so on. I had checked all the first floor apartments when a rumble erupted from the sky. That's when I realized it had gotten quite dark. I sifted through my bag until I found the watch and checked to see I still had a few hours of sunlight left. A flash of light flicked across the sky and I figured out it was a storm.   

     I went into the last room I searched and locked the door, this is where I would sleep for the night. I got out my battery powered lantern and turned it on in the now pitch black room. The lantern flickered to life, illuminating the place. I made my way to the bedroom and locked the door, setting the lantern on the stand next to the bed. I heard a small tinkle on the window, I pulled back the curtain to see that rain has started to come.

     Sitting back down, I decided to pass the time surveying the contents of my bag. It was Black, so it wouldn't stand out, and it was big, so it would fit all the things I need. I looked at the two pockets on the side, the ones meant for water bottles. One held the tissues I found, the other was a water bottle that was only half full. The pocket in the very front was small, it held the watch, some Chap Stick, the rash cream, extra ammo, Pain killers, Hair ties, and lotion.