Chapter Nineteen

Dana was very nice, but very strict. She explained everything that was in our packet that Daren and Kim had given us back at the cabin. She said about ten minutes ago that we were going on a tour of the Camp. We were just waiting on her to sign all of our papers, the ones that said we were cleared to stay at the camp. I also learned the reason this woman was so intimating; she was the leader of the camp. 

She stood from the large desk (a real one not these horrid desks were sitting in) and spoke. "Everyone stand, grab your bags. We are about to begin the tour. At the end, I'll show you the housing units and you will each go into your own, un-pack, and spend the night in there. Questions?"

Someone in the front raises their hand like they were answering a question in class. Dana pointed to him and he spoke, "can we leave our rooms to go to other people?"
Dana nodded, "good question. Of course you can, but keep it strictly between your friends. This is no time to meet new pals."

Dana nodded to somewhere behind me and a woman's voice entered the air, "what about sleeping in there? Like a spouse or something."

"That is aloud. After a week of staying here, you can submit a request for a larger room to share with your significant other." Dana told us and me and Cry shared a look.
Was it too soon for that? It wasn't exactly like moving in together like in the old days, but it was the equivalent now in the apocalyptic world. Maybe it was too soon. Then again, that's for both of us to decide. I was ripped from the thoughts when

Cry tapped my shoulder. Speak of the devil. I stood up and grabbed my bags, then we all followed the groups out into the hallway. Everyone lugged around a large bag, the one the camp supplied us with, then most people had some other bag full of supplies from their one outside. The tour was long, but informational. The entire complex was huge and must've taken years to build. First we were shown the cafeteria, it was huge, to say the least. And it was full of people. Real, live people. Ones who weren't trying to kill us either. They waved and smiled and there were even little kids and someone even had a dog!

There was a wall all the way in the back that was full of flyers and updates. People offering jobs, items, and so on. Dana said if we wanted anything to head on over there and we'd find it.

Next, was the 'common room'. It held tens and twenty's of couches and chairs. There was an entire wall covered in books from top to bottom, too. There were a ton of people in here, too! Reading and working. Then, Dana took us to the gym. There were exercise bikes, a small track, and a couple nets with sports equipment. Afterwards, there was the school. Dana said there were tons of little kids here that hadn't had the opportunity for schooling, so they offered it here. They also taught about the glitcher's war with humans and some survival tips to take with them into adulthood. Lastly, we reached the dorms, that's what everyone called them. The rooms were pretty small, but filled with anything you'd need. And there were a lot of them. Hundreds, maybe more. There were lights all down the halls that stayed on at night, only dimmed, yet no one was permitted to leave the dorms. No one. So when you were out during the day, you have to get what you needed then.

We were introduced to some people along the way. Council members or just random citizens, who would pass along helpful tips that the leader didn't really tell us. Like taking Tupperware into the cafeteria and keeping food in your room for those nights you get hungry. The mass of people that was on the bus with us began to thin out as we walked through the dorms. There was only our group left when it got to my room. Room 331.

Cry's room was, thankfully, right next to mine. Actually, we were all right next to each other. Me first, Cry, Russ, snake, Scott, minx, Cheyenne. It was a perfect set up. We all agreed to meet in my room, the easiest one to remember considering it was the start of a whole new hall, in half an hour.