Chapter 28

I sigh in contempt as I sink to my haunches in front of Derreck's cell. Tonight is the meeting with the Hunters to create the treaty, and it would be a million times easier with him at my side. But I haven't been able to get through to him at all. Any time I make a move closer to the door he flings himself against it, howling in pain as the silver burns him. It breaks my heart every time he lets out one of those tortured whines. Everything in me wants to rip the gate between us and wrap my arms around him, but I'm haunted by what his wolf is capable of at the moment.

A low, rumbling growl reverberates through the room.

Looking up, I raise a single eyebrow. "Well, maybe if you were more cooperative we'd both be in better moods."

His unconvinced snort reminds me that my mate is in there, somewhere very deep in the mind of the wolf before me.

I can't help but chuckle at the action. "You know, if you actually remembered your past you would find this kinda funny."

He growls at me before turning his back on me and curls up on the ground. Just like Derreck when he doesn't know someone, this wolf huffs and raises its hackles at the unknown - in an almost child-like way. It makes me wonder how alike we are to our other halves. I know my wolf and I have always been pretty united as if we were one, but what if we just have the same thoughts? What if Derreck's father was right about wolves being like another consciousness within us? Have I really balked at the truth, or is treating our animal side like it's another being what creates the split personality?

Okay, I need to stop getting philosophical or my brain might explode. Or implode. Which is worse? What if I go through some complete photonic reversal and cease to resist? Wow, my head hurts. Stupid brain for coming up with such ludicrous ideas.

A huff forces me out of my circling thoughts and I look up at a quizzical wolf - a wolf that looks to be severally judging me.

"Don't be rude!" I tell him. "You try not to let your mind wander when trying to convince a mal-tempered wolf of whom he actually is. Do you have any answer as to why you just suddenly veered into the pack party, huh?"

He rolls his eyes at me and I stifle a growl of my own - I should be grateful that he's calmed a bit, but I'm not one to dwell on that. He still has a long way to go before he'll even believe me...if that ever happens. Of course, even the idea that I have to convince Derreck's wolf that he's actually a werewolf and there's a human consciousness hidden somewhere in there is a ridiculous concept. If I were in that cage I'd probably believe the person on the other side was nuts...wait a minute, that's it! I'm trying to convince him with human words, what if I try it as a wolf?

Listening to the building around me to see if anyone's coming, I stand to my feet with a newfound confidence. As I start to pull my shirt over my head the wolf starts making odd noises and I stop to see it watching me like I'm a madman. I roll my eyes in return and discard the shirt along with the rest of my outfit and place them carefully on a metal bench. As my hand slips across the metal I take a deep breath before allowing the familiar breaking of bone to reach my ears. The entire process is no longer as painful as it had once been, but the shining golden tips along what was once pure white fur still stuns me. I shake out my silky coat as I turn toward my mate, noticing a slight difference in the air surrounding us.

As my eyes meet his, he gives me a questioning look before his eyes cautiously roam over my form. I can tell he's not sure what to make of what he's seeing, but at least he's not freaking out. I watch silently for a moment as he moves closer to, what I can only guess, inspect me. He stops right in front of the bars and sniffs at the air, eyes furrowing as he notices there's no change in my scent. His eyes go from confusion to curiosity in a second as he yelps at me. I roll my eyes and step closer to his cell so he can sniff at me even further.