Chapter 12

I glance around the room, taking in my bed that's literally low enough it could just be a matress chilling on the floor. But the queen sized frame holds two matresses that are so soft they might as well be clouds. The bed spread is black with multicolored polka dots of various sizes and the sheets beneath are a light purple. The blue pillowcases really stand out against it all but I don't really focus on that, moving my eyes to the purple curtains. The hardwood floor has a large light blue, circular carpet large enough to cover half the room even while lying beneath the bed - Mel and I went shopping a few weeks ago, after she and Derreck came to an agreement on her adopting me. Turns out, she was already pulling up the paperwork and confronted him on it. I'll have to thank her for that later...and all Dereck had to do was sign the little dotted line to relinquish his title as my primary caregiver - yeah, not really sure how he ended up with that title. Maybe it was something his dad did in case something happened to them.

"Hello, Beks," a familiar voice says from behind me, making me spin around to face him.

"Derreck!" I sigh and rush over to him, pulling him into a tight embrace.

He chuckles before puling me in tighter while taking in a large whiff of my scent. I sigh in content as I breath in the smell that's all him - it's just so Derreck that I'd know it anywhere. I tuck my face into his chest as my eyes shut on their own accord. The scent of fresh grass and water fills my nose suddenly, confusing me. Wasn't I just in my bedroom? We pull away from each other at the same moment, looking around at this foreign yet familiar place. It almost looks like..

"Beks?" Derreck says softly.

"Hm?" I ask, eyeing the cliff with the dangerous-looking drop less than three feet away.

"I didn't think about it all." He says with a strange edge to his voice.

"About what all?" I can't help my curiosity as I walk over to the ledge to see the all too familiar plummet leading to a rushing river below.

"Don't look for me, I'll try to come back when I can." He says making me look over abruptly at him.

"What?" I ask, watching in horror as deep bruises and nasty gashes start to form all over him.

I can't help the gasp that breaks free when I see blood slowly start seeping through the thin material of his white muscle shirt and pants, along with long and short tares appearing in the fabric. I can't to anything but stare dumfounded as a huge brown wolf suddenly propels into his side, sending them both right over the edge...

My body jolts as the bus hits a particularly large pothole. I clench my teeth at the pain shooting through my side and forehead while trying desperately to hold back my groan of frustration. Yeah, when we hit the bump I totally hit my head on the seat in front of me and the window to my left. Last night's events come back to me as I remember what's actually happening. The battle against the Fenris had been brutal - both sides underrated the other. Derreck's gone. And my side's shattered. Lovely.

"Okay everyone! Now listen up here...Haile, a-are you hurt too?" Coach demands, earning a particularly nasty look from me.

"No, just thought I'd take a nap...sadly the road doesn't exactly agree with that." I say, getting an odd look from Ian.

I roll my eyes at him and look up at Coach as he simply nods.

"Good, we don't want you to start looking as green as Dean is back there. Seriously, the road isn't that bad." As soon as the words leave his mouth we hit another hole and I hold back a hiss of pain as Coach falls over slightly, almost falling on top of Trey - who just helps to steady the annoying man. "Oh come on! Do you really think it's necessary to hit each and every hole the road provides?! Incompetence."