Chapter 30

So...yes, this is another update. And, yes, you can love me so much more right now. :) I'm so happy to be back and writing the way I used to for you guys. But, also I have some news. If any of you are in/near Shreveport Louisiana in the USA, there will be a book signing for Don't Say A Word of October 10th (next Saturday) from 1-3pm at Rhino Coffee (address is 721 Southfield Road)...and there will also be one on October 30th (2 Fridays  from now from 3-5pm) at Hastings in Longview Texas (USA: address is 405 W Loop). I hope to see you guys there and I'll post more places and dates as I get them. Enjoy reading about Bekah and her friends - I sure enjoy writing about them! XD

______________________________________________________

I grunt as I shove the woman's legs into the trunk. "How're you going to handle them?"

"Hm?" He murmurs, shutting the trunk. "Oh, we have a method to this. I mean, we have to somehow cover up some other unexplainable occurrences that we've come up with a system. Don't worry, the car will show up where it belongs. And the 'officer' will be accounted for - we may have to set up a crash site and set the thing ablaze, but we'll make it look like an accident."

I nod and look over at my car, sighing at the single bullet hole in the driver's door. "And that?"

"We'll fix that tonight, I promise." He says easily. "We take care of our own."

"And we're a part of that?" I ask skeptically, not sure how I feel about all of this.

I mean, when it's out in the woods and dealing with monsters, it's easier to 'deal' with it. A lot of the time, we're in wolf form and it already looks like an animal attack. Of course, I have no idea what the twins did when they dealt with the wendigos...was it something like what Charlie is suggesting?

"Of course." His reply sounds so simple, so easy - as if it's obvious.

I watch him carefully as he sighs.

"Listen, I know it's difficult and weird...but now we're all on the same team. I've always told my father there had to be a better way. Your pack gave me the perfect excuse to show him that werewolves aren't all bad. Not to mention that Anna is apparently the mate of your Beta - she told me, she's like a sister to me." He smiles as his eyes seem to go elsewhere before he shakes his head. "Anyways, I'm going to play my part in this perfectly. I want to make an everlasting alliance between our groups because it's not only equally beneficial, but it's the right thing to do. You're obviously one of the good packs and slaughtering every werewolf is utterly stupid - how would we fight the vampires without them?"

"Huh?" I say, confused by the last part.

"Did you not hear the legend?" He asks with a smile and I shake my head. "Well, many years ago - back in ancient Greece - the old ones were such a burden that Demeter and Zeus found it equally beneficial to give birth to a child that would be part wolf to keep the soulless demons in check. Of course, Hera was not so fond of that decision."

I nod. "Which is why she placed her first curse of him."

"Exaclty...but there was another Goddess who took pity on the child and bore him a mate, bringing an extra sense of purpose to him." He says with a happy smile. "I believe this to be very true. So, if your kind were originally created to protect the humans, then why would I allow the ones who do not abuse their power to die unnecessarily? I'd like to be a part of the solution, not the problem."

"Wow." Is all I can say to all of this.

"Okay...let's get you to where you need to go." He says, clapping his hands together as if to shake off dust from the skin after closing the trunk of the squad car.