Chapter 7

Entering the house I follow my nose to the living room, seeing our entire pack lounging together - wow, that's a great thing to think-say. All the guys are spread out in various places. Xander is sprawled out on the couch with his head hanging off as he laughs at something Trey says from the floor next to him. Trey's leaning on the couch with a soda in his hand, sitting between his legs and leaning against his chest is Ashanti - his mate he met about eighteen hours ago at the local burger place. Apparently Xander forced him to go buy a bunch of burgers for some of the guys while they were hanging out and he almost spilled his tray on her - well, I find it cute. Looking a little to the left I see Paul sulking in a lounge chair by the window - oh brother. I sigh and look at the carpet to see Ian laying with his arm resting over his arm as Trey nudges him with his foot. Probably just to piss him off. Aubrie walks into the room from the general direction of the kitchen with a plate of food. She gives me a large smile before placing the food on the coffee table - it's more like finger food...mini sandwiches, little experiments she makes that are always delicious, and some chips.

In a couple hours' time Derreck, Paul, and Ian will take the guys who haven't made it through their first full moon over to the old house where the restraining area is still intact. An alpha over a hundred or so years ago had an underground cellar built with holding cells and a whole bunch of stuff I never really took the time to learn about for protecting new wolves and restraining rogues - for questioning and torturing purposes. The entrance is behind a door in the basement, surrounded by a small layer of gold for protection and eight feet thick wall of concrete - not really sure if that was an overkill, but it's worked in our favor.

It's kinda funny that, when the first werewolves chose the gold, Hera actually bestowed upon the substance the power to shield and protect us magically from those who wanted to hurt the innocent of our kind. Basically, hunters and other creatures who just enjoyed killing our kind - the cellar could double as a safe haven for the members who couldn't fight or protect themselves at the time of the attack.

Of course, that wasn't really helpful during the surprise fire...we just didn't have the time or any warning.

The only thing that matters now is that it'll hold the guys very well and Rhys will be there, along Xander's and Trey's mates, to be there if needed. Honestly, just the girls' presence will be helpful in calming their wolves and, personally, I think it would help Rhys not feel so awkward.

I'm surprised he hasn't said anything about becoming like us. He seems content to stay human and I respect him for that - I mean, at least he knows how he wants to live. Maybe.

"Hey, Beks!" Trey greets me with that nod thing all guys seem to have inherited over time, causing everyone to speak up.

Ashanti and Aubrie (I wanted to change her name to something a bit different) come over an pull me in for a hug. I notice that Jase hasn't brought Anna over - which means they're keeping it secret or he hasn't told her they were mates yet. I'm betting on the first because it's hard for a wolf to not let their mate know something that important. Unless he's still trying to figure out how to handle the whole situation - ya know, the fact that his mate's a hunter...and she shot me.

I hope they can work things out without having to go through too much hassle...especially since she comes from a family of hunters.

"Okay everyone, we have a small matter to address." Derreck says, his wolf coming out a little in the words.

Every single one of the guys - other than Paul of course, stinking pain that he is - sit up straight and give Derreck their full attention. It's inspiring to see how much these guys look up to Derreck when not too long ago none of them knew each other. Ian's even joined the pack as an official member...though his beta blood will always show trough his eyes, he's not our beta. I'm glad for the Beta we chose, I think he'll do a great job.

"I've been thinking long and hard about who will be our pack's official Beta. It hasn't been an easy decision but this member of our pack has shown great leadership, made remarkable decisions when they really count, and has earned all of our respect quicker than should be possible." As the words ring in everyone's ears, all the guys' faces look around uncomfortably - except Paul, he just rolls his eyes.

He knows he won't be chosen - but I know he has a lot to learn before he regains our full trust and respect.

"Who is it?" Aubrie asks, earning a small whack from Ashanti before being shushed by everyone.

I chuckle at them before looking over at a smirking Derreck. "Our Beta is none other than Jasynn Dean. He's shown remarkable promise and great leadership skills. I'll be proud to teach him."

At the anouncement, Jase's jaw drops to the floor. it takes everything in me not to laugh as Derreck gives him a look.

"Why's he looking at him like that?" Rhys aske, breaking the silence. "It's almost too creepy for words."

Ian reaches over and hits him upside the head. "He's waiting for Jasynn to accept, you ninny! Dude, just say 'I,' state name 'accept the roles of the Beta of'....whats our pack name?"

I look over at Derreck questioningly, not remembering and he stutters out. "Well, it was always called the BlackThorn pack but I don't think it fits anymore."

"I think we should call this Haile Territory. Like 'Hail! It's the territory!'" Rhys says dramatically, raising his hand as if in salute.

I roll my eyes at his craziness.

"How about the Blood Moon pack? Since the fight tonight will define us after all this." Jase asks.

"I like it." Derreck nods, smiling at our Beta.

"Ok." Jase smiles brightly and declares, "I, Jasynn Robert Dean, accept the roles of the Beta of the Blood Moon pack."

And his eyes glow, slowly transitioning from its normal gold to a vibrant orange.

_________________________

Hey guys!

Sorry for the long wait - I'm not going to bore you with excuses. But good news, the huge fight scene is fast approaching!!!! Yay!

What do you think will happen? Please let me know via comment or PM - don't get me wrong, I love your votes but I'd also love to hear from you guys too :)

Always yours,

Kera