s e v e n

I look outside of the window and Adam and Jeremy yelling at each other. Jeremy says something that I can't comprehend and he smirks at Adam. I look down to Adams fist as he attempts to clench repeatedly, trying to hold back breaking Jeremy's jaw. Adam takes a step toward Jeremy but instead he retreats and walks to his car.

He enters, turns the car on, and I don't dare to say anything. He is mad and furious and hot.

"Give me your car keys," he demands. "I will come back tomorrow and take your car to the mechanic."

He hold out his hand waiting for me to do what he demanded. I look up, and his eyes strike me as a darker shade of green. They are so mesmerizing. If I couldn't control myself, I would probably get lost in them.

"I will take it, you don't have to," I argue.

"Why? So you can ask Megan to take you back to retrieve it and she sends Jeremy instead?" He is breathing heavily now.

I want to defend myself, to say that I am a grown woman and I can handle myself. I want to defend Megan, to say that she had an emergency and she wouldn't do that to me unless it's safe. But instead, I take out my keys from my purse and hand them to him. He takes them and shoves them in his jeans pocket. His shoulders relax and he leans back to his seat.

And we are moving.

The car is filled with the sound of rain. I glance at Adam and his hands are gripping the steering wheel hard.

"What's with you and Jeremy?" I ask, breaking the silence.

He doesn't reply and again, I feel like I'm talking to a wall. I half expected him not to answer, but the other half was hoping badly that he might reply and answer all my questions.

"He and I go way back," he finally says.

I look back waiting for more, an explanation of some sort. He lets out a breath and keeps going, "He is my older brother's friend."

"Do you feel like killing all of your brother's friends or is it just him?" I ask, out of curiosity.

"No." He pauses as to think. "No, It's just him," he replies amused with my questions. He's annoying and frustrating.

As he turns to smile at me with those warm green eyes, my whole body erupts with goosebumps and I rap my hands closer to keep me warm.

"Are you cold?" He asks. His smile breaks and I notice concern in his eyes as he reaches out to turn on the heaters.

"Thank you," I say grateful. As my words strike him, his smile comes back.

God, his smile is so cute.

As we approach Manger street, I gesture to Adam to turn right. The car turns to a halt and stops just under my building. I gasp and turn to meet his eyes.

"I didn't tell you to stop," I state out.

"How do you know where I live?" I ask, literally freaking out.

I want to open the door, gather my strengths, and run for the hills but my mind is telling me to stay, because I deserve a damn explanation.

"Adam," I whisper. He is staring at the tree in front of him.

"I demand an explanation, Adam. Right now, right this second," I raise my voice.

He exhales and rubs his forehead as if he's trying to make an excuse to shut me up. He switches the engine off and turns to face me.

"Look," he pauses, takes a breath, and then continues, "It's true, it was by accident that I entered your shop, and that your car broke down in front of my favorite Chinese restaurant. I live just a mile away from your work area. I know your name from class, you just never noticed me there. I'm sorry that I pushed you to speak up in class, say what's on your mind, like you are doing right now" he waves his hands in the air. "But I thought I was trying to help," he pauses and tries to read my face. My heart is beating so fast right now: one..two..three..

"I detected you live here because I saw how your tensed body relaxed as we approached your building. I took psychology last year and it's basically an experiment that worked," he continues.

My mind is so confused right now yet so relieved. I keep staring at him wondering if his eyes are lying. Unlike him, I didn't take psychology, so I can't detect a liar. But all I know is that he's a stranger, I keep reminding my self. I don't know if I should believe him. Why should I? But you already did, you went in his car instead of Jeremy's. I'm so lost right now and I just wish that the earth cracks open and swallows me whole.

"Lesley, please say something," he whispers.

What am I supposed to say? That I believe you? I do believe you, and because of that, I'm freaking out.

"I need to go," I finally manage to say.

I open the door and keep walking without looking back. As I approach the entrance of the building, I glance back but he's already gone.

And I'm left to drown in the rain, just like the river, slowly and agonizingly.