t h i r t y - f o u r

As I enter the bar, the smell of smoke fills my nostrils instantly. It's dim, and it feels like I entered a club rather than a bar. The smoke machines are suffocating me over the load music. I squint my eyes as I locate Spencer over the bar.

He said he had work, but he is "expecting me to come. No arguments!" and hanged up. I felt like he could hear the shattering of my heart behind my voice. I just went with the flow and let it be. After all, anything is better than to sit at home and think of Adam.

"Lesley!" he greets me with open arms and a huge smile on his face. I giggle as I hug him back. For some reason, there's no awkwardness behind his hugs or jokes because I know that he has no harm behind his actions. If it was someone other than him, I would've felt paranoid.

"Hey, Spence," I smile back.

"What can I get you?" he beams. "It's on the house," he winks.

"One sex on the beach, please," I shout over the music.

"Coming right up!" he says as he turns to make me the drink. I watch at how interesting it is. He makes it so fast like he knows the recipe for the drink by heart.

"Seeing something you like?" His voice startles me as I jerk my head right, finding Riley looking at me with anger.

"You scared me," I attempt to soften the mood.

"Well, I'm about to terrify you," he looks at me with disgust as he takes a step closer.

"Stay the hell away from Spencer," he demands. My bones shiver with fear as he makes his way to his section.

I feel my face turn white as life is drained away from me. Wow. I didn't expect that.

"Here's one sex on the beach, made with love and affection," Spencer says.

He notices my reaction as he says, "What's wrong?" He frowns while he follows the trail of my eyes until they lock with Riley's.

I shake my head, trying to slap my self back to reality.

"Nothing," my voice comes out rusty.

"What did he tell you?" he asks, mad.

"Nothing important. Don't dwell on it," I smile.

He smiles back but it doesn't reach his eyes. I wonder what's gotten into him. Why is Riley so overprotective? I mean, is he his brother or does he see me as a threat? But then it hits me. Now it makes sense.

I gasp as I cover my mouth, "Oh my God!"

"What? What's wrong?" he searches my face, as his eyes widen.

"Riley likes you," I squeal as I beam with happiness. His face turns red as he ducks down, covering his reaction.

"And you like him," I playfully push his shoulder as I wink.

"Oh, don't be such an ass about it," he denies it.

"Denial," I sigh, "the second stage of love." I say as I form a heart with my hands.

He laughs back as he shakes his head, saying: "no, I don't know you."

"But why was he threatening me a minute ago? Doesn't he know you're not interested in girls?" I ask, confused.

He chuckles, "No, I'm into both gender. But sometimes he doesn't believe me that I only have eyes on him," he shrugs.

I feel the mood going downhill, so I change the subject as I take a sip from my drink. "This is really good," I eye him.

He half smiles, "thanks, I'm known for my skills."

"Of course you are," I roll my eyes but they land on Riley who seems like a mess. I shift uncomfortably in my seat. The least I want to do is get between two love birds.

"I think I should go," I say while I grab my purse.

His face falls, "No, please don't. I'm mad at him because he did some stupid mistake and now he is blaming you instead of himself."

"But it's alright," he explains. "Let him suffer a little," he chuckles.

The rest of the night is spent laughing and drinking. Spencer gets off his work early so we end up getting two bottles of beer, as we sit in the corner of the bar. It's less chaotic here and we could actually chat without screaming. So far, I found out that Riley was the first guy he hooked up with. He actually offered him this job because Riley's Uncle owns this bar or something. From then, they got to know each other and... spare me the details of love. He's into art and creativity. He kept talking about art with so much passion, of how he spends days locked up in his art studio painting what inspires him, but only to notice that time flied. I remembered Megan. She loves art as well. She used to take me with her to those art galleries and I was grateful she did. Now, I have something to talk about because I know quite a few things. And Spencer seems impressed.

"I would say that Afremov is my favourite actually," I say as I take a sip from my bottle. "I really love the way he demonstrates his ideas with vivid colours. It's an eye candy."

His grin reaches his eyes, "Well, aren't you full of surprises."

"I try," I mock as I flip my hair. I turn to watch the dance floor. Everyone seems relaxed, having fun. I'm surprised that my shoulders aren't as tense as before.

Take one day at a time, Lesley.

I nod to my motto for life, pleased. My smile fades as I spot Adam on the dance floor. He is wrapped up in a brunette's hand. His hands are on her hips as they move in sync. She playfully shakes her ass as she flutters her eyelashes.

"That bitch!" I say, mortified.

"Lesley? What are you looking at?" Spencer says from next to me but I'm too distracted with the way his mouth finds her neck as she leans back in his arms. I feel bile rise up in my stomach.

He is enjoying this.

I swallow hard, as hot tears threaten to escape my eyes. I blink them away. This isn't his fault. It's mine. I told him to move on but I didn't expect it to be that fast.

"He's here," I whisper. Spencer's neck turns to spot them. I feel him tense. He stands up as he offers his hand.

"Let's go," he orders.

I look between his hand and him, confused, "Wha- What?"

"Let's dance and show him what he is missing," he explains.

That will drive him crazy, Lesley. Don't. But he doesn't care. Obviously he moved on faster and I was stupid enough to think that he actually loves me. Should I? God, I don't know. My eyes dart to them and she is literally shoving her tongue in his mouth. Or is he the one doing that? He is obviously enjoying it! Her devilish red nails trail his cheek. I used to do that!

I can't believe he is allowing her!

I take Spencer's hand and make our way to the dance floor.