s i x

I keep glancing at the watch each five minutes. Two more hours.. One more.. Thirty more minutes.. And it's time for me to close up the store.

I climb in my Volkswagen, or Earl, as I like to call it. I turn the keys in the ignition, blast some music, and head home.

It's oddly calm today on the road. There's no traffic or even anyone for that matter. As I take Charles street, I notice smoke in front of me. At first, I thought I was driving my way into a fog, but as if on cue, the car breaks down. I pull it onto the side of the street, next to some Chinese restaurant. I kick the door open and step out. Stupid Earl.

It's freezing and I try to wrap my jacket closer to me. I open the trunk and stare at it.

How the hell am I supposed to know what is wrong with it?

I take out my phone from my back pocket. The battery is about to die so I hurry up and call Megan. She picks up on the second ring.

"Hey Megan, Can you please come pick me up? Earl broke down I don't know who else to call," I say desperately.

There's some background noise and she finally manages to say: "Where are you?"

"Somewhere on Charles street next to a Chinese restaurant."

"Give me thirty minutes and I'll be there," she replies and hangs up.

I sigh and lean on the car. Waiting for Megan. I hope she won't be late. It's freezing and It's about to rain.

"Are you stalking me?"

I jerk my head backward to the sound of his voice. I turn around so fast to that I trip. I look up and see Adam standing there. He is wearing his usual outfit, messy hair, and he looks like he could use some sleep. In his hand, he's holding Chinese takeouts and raising an eyebrow waiting for me to answer him.

"Um, no. My car broke down," I say as I gesture to the smoke coming from the front trunk of the car.

He walks toward the car and takes a look. One minute later, after he finished inspecting, he looks up at me.

"Your motor is hotter than usual. You need to give it several hours to cool down before you drive it to a mechanic," he says.

"Great, just great!" I exclaim.

He looks at me as if he is waiting for me to say something, but what does he expect me to say? Thank you? Hell no.

"Do you need a ride home?" He asks.

"No, that won't be necessary. Megan is on her way to get me," I reply.

"Well then I'll wait with you out here," he continues.

"Why?" I ask without thinking.

"I can't just let a pretty girl wait around here alone in a somehow abandoned street."

"I'm totally capable of handling myself," I reply.

He snorts.

"Why do you even care?" I ask, annoyed.

He smiles and holds up his takeouts while slightly shaking them.

"Would you like to share my takeouts with me or does your boyfriend mind?" He asks.

Oh you are doing the boyfriend card now?

"I would mind," I state emphasizing on the I.

He smirks. "So, the boyfriend question is ignored?"

I frown. "My apologizies I couldn't quiet hear you well. What was that you said?" I mock.

He smiles even more and I can't help but not smile back to him. Ugh, that's annoying.

"So, what's your story?" Adam asks.

I look at him annoyed and turn my face away. I bit on my lip.

"Are you going to answer that?" He pushes.

I don't.

"Lesley?" He goes on.

"What's my story? Are you seriously asking me that? You come into the store I work in, out of all of the shops, and freak out when I was offering help. You embarrass me in front of the whole class by pushing me further that I'm used to. You show up out of nowhere when my car breaks down. And every time I ask you a question, you answer it with another! So, now, tell me, what is your story?"

I exhale and turn around to face him. He looks shocked as if he wasn't prepared for such an answer. He looks at me and I'm pretty sure he can see my annoyance. And he smiles.

He opens his mouth to speak: "I don't-- but we are interrupted as we both turn around as a car pulls up next to mine.

A young guy with blond hair and blue eyes, average height, wearing a red polo jacket gets out of the car as he makes his way toward us.

"Lesley Parker?" He asks.

I nod.

"Megan sent me to get you, she told me to tell you that she had an emergency and couldn't come. She tried calling you again but your phone was off." He shrugs.

Adam and I stare at him at the same time.

He looks at me and adds: "Oh sorry, my name is Jeremy Clayton."

Adam clears his throat and says: "You didn't have to come, she is already ridding with me home."

"I didn't say-- I don't continue my sentence because I can see the tension between them. Both boys eyes are fixed staring at each other and if I give them the green card, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't mind cracking each others necks.

"Get it in the car, Lesley," Adam demands.

I look right and left, at Adam and at Jeremy. Two strangers. Two cars. My car is broken down. I'm abandoned. I need a ride home.

Next thing I know I'm climbing in the passenger seat and waiting for him to come.