n i n e

I glance at the clock, and I'm late. The subway station is a two minutes walk away from here, so I head out. As I step outside the building, the cold hits me and crips through my body. I shiver.

I feel like someone just slapped me as I snap back to reality.

He has my keys.

God dammit, Lesley! Keep losing.

I sigh, take my scarf out and rap it around my neck. From a distance, light keeps blinking toward me, and I narrow my eyes to see who could be that infuriating. Of course, who else could it be. Adam is leaning on his car, waiting.

"Leave me alone, Adam," I demand.

"And give me my car keys," I add.

He flashes a  smile, "Good morning to you too, beautiful."

I ignore his remark, and put my hand out, waiting for my keys.

"I got coffee," he slightly shakes the cup in his. I cringe to the smell of it.

"I hate coffee," I say.

"Oh," his smile fades and he throws it in the bin a meter away. It goes straight in.

I put my hand out, "keys!"

"I would, but I already drove your car to the mechanic this morning. It finishes at three in the afternoon," he explains.

"Well, thank you but now give me my car keys and I'll get it later."

He reaches to his jeans pocket, takes them, and next thing I know he is dangling out the keys in front of my face. I reach out to take them but he pulls away, fast. I almost trip, and he catches me.

I look up and his face is a beat away. Both of us are breathing hard, and I can hear his heartbeat from here. Slowly, he raises his hand and brushes his fingers softly across my cheek. The warmth of his fingers send goosebumps across my body. I look up at him as he's looking down at me. The gravity of his lips are inescapable.

I back away, breaking the moment. I can't let it get too far. I don't trust him.

We both stand there, feeling uncomfortable.

"I figured that you would like a ride to campus." He finally says.

I clear my throat, "that won't be necessary; I'm taking the subway."

"I drove all the way here so you won't be late." He argues.

"Well, I'm already late so," I say as I turn on my heels and walk to the station.

"Fine," I hear him yell from behind. Seconds later, his car passes by and doesn't stop. And on the cue, showers of rain are falling down, heavily.

"Shit, shit, shit, " I whisper as I sprint to the station.

As I arrive, I find Adam walking toward me. Before I open my mouth to argue, he holds up a finger, gesturing to me to be quiet.

"You're stubborn, naive, and a pain in the ass. But I'm not letting you go on the subway with strangers who smell awfully bad." He says.

"You're a stranger, too!" I state out.

"What's the difference?" I ask.

"Well, first of all, I'm not a stranger. We both know that. And second of all... I smell good," he smirks.

"Don't flatter yourself," I mock.

"Please Lesley! Just get in the car," he says. And I see defeat filling up his eyes. I look down as he sighs and rubs his forehead.

"I'll give you your keys back," he says as he raises his eyebrow, waiting for me to reply.

He can't just argue with me in a valid argument just to get me in his damn car. What's wrong with the subway? It does smell bad, but it's cheap and it takes me wherever I want to go. I'm so anxious right now that when I look up to meet his eyes, calmness consumes me.

"Fine," I storm by him and march to the car.