f i f t y - o n e

"Shit." Adam curses under his breath, dropping the box on the concrete floor. I hear something break and I wince.

"Sorry," he apologises. I rub my forehead trying to stop a headache from coming. We've spent the whole day packing my things. It's time for moving the boxes from his car to his apartment.

"She's giving you that look. If I were you, I would run while I still can," Spencer says. Adam chuckles and I scowl at them. Spencer raises his hand in defeat and then continues carrying the boxes to the elevator.

My mother wasn't too pleased with the idea but after hours of arguing, I persuaded her. She had one condition: make her feel like I never left. Easy. To be honest, I was worried at first. I didn't want Harry to stay alone in the apartment due to the reason of Bob and my mother being addicts once. And especially because they left Harry all alone in the apartment when the fire occurred. If they were there, things could've turned out better. Or worse.

"Two more boxes boys," I say with victory. I go to the trunk and carry a box, my hands aching from my soar muscles. The air is warm and the smell of flowers blooms its way to the cascade of fields it formed. North Hill does have it's bipolar weathers.

"Do you need help?" I turn to see Max flashing a smile, showing his two missing front teeth. I smile back. "Hey, Max. It's alright. We are almost done."

I back away from the car. "On second thought, can you shut the trunk close?" I ask him and his eyes light up. After several jumps and encouragement speeches of you can do it, he finally manages to get it shut.

"Do you want to come over and have some ice-cream?" I ask Max as we both enter the elevator.

"I don't know if my mother will allow me," he frowns. I bend down and slightly touch his nose. "She doesn't have to know," I whisper. "It would be our little secret," I wink at him.

"Deal," he says. He spits on his palm and raises it to shake. I gross out. "I would shake it but my hands are full," I shrug and slightly shake the box for him to notice.

"You can put it aside," he suggests.

"I'm not-" The elevator rings, alerting us we arrived at Adam's floor. Saved. "Maybe next time," I offer. "Come on."

We enter the apartment which appears to be a mess. Tables are moved to the side of the wall to place the boxes that are scattered in an unorganised matter. I groan. This will take all day.

"All done?" Adam asks me over the kitchen counter. "Yes," I reply and head to the fridge as Max follows me in. I notice Adam's eyes lit up as he takes Max for a hug. And my heart aches a little bit. I will never understand their relationship but I would never want it to end.

"Who do we have here?" Spencer props his head over the counter.

"Spencer, this is Max," I introduce them. Spencer makes his way to Max and bends down as they engage into a conversation about ATVs. Adam makes his way to me, hugs me from my waist, and kisses me on the cheek, making the corners of my mouth turn up. "Finally," he let's out a sigh.

"Welcome home!" He hugs me tighter and I giggle. "I promised Max some ice-cream," I say.

"So?" he arches an eyebrow.

"So.. I need to get some ice-cream but you're not letting me go."

"And I won't. So deal with it," he childishly say and I pull my tongue at him.

"Fine. Keep holding as we move," I order. We walk as penguins until I finally retrieve the vanilla ice-cream from the fridge. "I think it's time for some rest, boys," I state out as I place two scoops for each in a bowl while Adam keeps hugging me. After that, Max leaves and Spencer follows.