Chapter 11

When I open my eyes I am confused; probably because everything is blurry. I blink a few times to adjust my eyesight, and I realize that I'm in a hospital. I look around the room and it's dead silent. I close my eyes again, trying to remember what happened. I was deep in thought, when I hear the door open. I snap my head in the direction from where the noise came from, and I see a nurse walk in.

"Hi I'm Lucy, nice to meet you Mickenna."

She smiles at me, probably relieved that I actually woke up. I turn my head towards the clock, and see that it's only 8:30. She notices the expression on my face and laughs.

"Yes, it is very early, I know."

I give her a weak smile and force out a little laugh

"But what happened to you last night is not a laughing matter."

I look down at my hands and remember the horror from just a few hours ago. I feel the tears threaten to leave my eyes, but I hold them back. No crying. I have to suck it up and deal with it. I take a shaky breath and Lucy continues.

"You have broken ribs, a broken nose, some bruises, and quite a few scratches. A boy named Austin called  and said he would be here soon."

I managed to say, "Thank you." and I laid my head back onto the pillow.

I looked up at the ceiling feeling a little anxious to see Austin. What would he do if he see's me like this? I really hope he doesn't worry too much. He already has enough to deal with. I turn my head to see Jason standing by the door. I nodded at him, letting him know he can come in.

He placed his hand over mine, and I slowly moved it away from his. He looks at me with an eyebrow raised and I just shrug. Even though Jason saved me, I still didn't want him to come in contact with me. He still scares me a little. I was just looking around awkwardly, so I decided to talk.

"What happened? I just remember walking and then being attacked. Now I'm here…."

"This girl wanted to kill you. I managed to stop her and I called 911."

I am at a loss for words. How am I supposed to respond to that? I bite my lip thinking about what the girl looked like. My head started to hurt, and I decided not to try to remember anything. It causes too much pain.

I needed to see what I looked like. As I sat up, my ribs ached and I fell back. After a few seconds, I attempted again, and this time I barely got up without falling. I nearly collapsed, but I held on to the night stand next to me.

I glare at Jason and snapped, "Thanks for helping me get up, Jason."

Jason is watching the TV, and fully absorbed in a football game, "Anytime."

I scoffed and made my way to the restroom.  My face is a mess. I have a bruise on the left side of my head, and a nasty scratch across my cheek. My broken nose was bruised, and definitely looked broken.  I lifted my hand to touch the scratch and I regret it. It stung a lot. I washed my hands, and then my face. I looked somewhat better.

 As I was fixing my hair, I saw Austin in the mirror. I turned around, and Austin came to me in a very rushed manner. He hugged me so tightly and I winced at the pain in my ribs. Austin realized he was hurting me and backed away.

"I'm so sorry Mickenna! I didn't mean to hurt you!

"It's okay Austin, I'm fine."

"I am extremely sorry for not being there when you needed me the most."

He lightly wraps his arms around me, and buries his face into the crook of my neck. I can feel the wet tears as I rub my hands over his back. His breaths are shallow, and his body is shaking.