Chapter 24

Austin and I are in the car driving back home. I sit there awkwardly in the passenger seat waiting for him to say something but he doesn't. He just stares straight ahead thinking of who knows what. I just want to wave my hand in front of his face and say, "Hey! Your girlfriend is alive!".  My body is rigid against the smooth black leather seat, and I let out a breath trying to let my body relax. I sink into the seat with the cool air chilling my body.

 I close my eyes but reopen them almost immediately. I never knew how much I hated the dark until I couldn't open my eyes to see the light. It was horrible - not being able to see. I felt so trapped. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't open my eyes. It was terrifying really. Hearing people, knowing that they're right beside you but you can't see them no matter how hard you tried. It killed me. And what kills me even more now, is the fact that Austin hasn't even glimpsed in my direction.

I sit patiently gazing out the window hoping he will talk. When he doesn't, I start to get aggravated. I feel like screaming at him. I huff and cross my arms over my chest. Why isn't he talking to me? No. Why isn't he looking at me?

"Austin…" I start slowly

"Hmmm" he says not taking his eyes off the road

"Are you going to talk or…?"

When he doesn't respond I put my hand on his arm. Stay calm Mickenna. You'll make him talk to you.

He opens his mouth to speak but falters. He inhales deeply, taking in so much air I would have thought his lungs would have exploded.

"I can't explain how terrible it was." he says very slowly

"I know, I know…" I reassure him

"N-no. Y-you don't understand." he stutters

I tilt my head in confusion. I don't understand? I was in a coma. Did he even think about how I felt? I could have sworn I was done for. I thought I was dead. He is the one that doesn't understand.

He sniffles and wipes his nose with the back of his hand. I watch him as the tears start to well up in his eyes. He looks down for a moment, letting the tear fall. His lips are in a tight line, trying to keep his chin from quivering. He shakes his head and looks at the road again. We drove into the driveway and he quickly killed the engine and got out of the car. He ran around to the other side of the car and opened the door for me.

"Thank you." I say quietly

He closes the door behind me and runs up the steps. When we walk inside, the house looks exactly how it was before. How long have I been out? The question never came to mind. I sit down on the couch that held too many memories. I skim my fingers over the fabric, smiling at everything that has happened on here.

"Everybody is out somewhere." Austin informs me and I nod

He goes to the fridge and gets two water bottles. He hands one to me and sits on the other end of the couch. Why is he so distant? Him not sitting next to me makes me feel cold. Almost craving his body next to mine. I want to scoot closer, but I decide against it. He probably sat at the other end of the couch for a reason. What's that reason? I don’t know. I unscrew the cap to my water bottle and take a drink. The ice cold liquid feels heavenly for my dry throat. I drink the whole bottle, leaving me satisfied and making me feel freshened.

I tuck my feet underneath me and look at Austin. He sits there with his hands on his lap with a blank expression. I can't stand this anymore I have to ask at least a hundred questions.

"Talk to me. Please." I practically beg him

He sighs and looks down at his hands. He bites his bottom lip and then turns to face me.