Chapter 20

(Austin's POV)

My heart nearly beats out of my chest when I hear a very loud noise, that sounded all too much like a gunshot. I really hope nothing bad has happened. My head starts spinning and people are starting to move towards the noise. My palms start getting sweaty and I can't move. Austin get up, what are you doing? My subconscious scolds me. I get up and start running towards where the sound came from. I push through people and make my way into the woods. I thrash around frantically whilst looking for Mickenna. Please be okay. Oh god, please tell me she's okay. I say my silent prayers while pushing away tree branches. My breathing is getting heavier, and I get more worried by the second. I can't have anything happen to her. She is the only thing in this world that keeps me going.

I push away another large branch, and I see Mickenna lying in a pool of blood on the ground. I can feel the tears burning my eyes but I have to keep them from spilling out. I crouch down next to her and get my phone out. I dial 911 and tell them to come quickly. They also told me to stay calm, but that's not possible. Mickenna is probably going to die. No. No, don't think that Austin. She is going to be okay and so will you. I try to stop the bleeding that is coming from her chest with my shirt. The dark fluid around her makes me sick to my stomach. I look at her for a really long time. I move my hand to wipe the hair off of her forehead. I lean down, and kiss her. I can her breathing faintly. I look up at the sky, past the tall trees and speak.

"Oh god, if you really are up there. Please let her live, she is my world, my everything, and I love her with all of my heart. She is the only reason I want to live. I can't go a single day without her. She may think she's ugly, she may be insecure, but she is perfect. And I won't move on. I won't be able to get over her. She has me under her spell, and I am loving every second of it. I don't want it to stop. I think if I say more I will have a complete breakdown.... So please....I beg you....keep her alive." I choke out

I cover my face with my hands and let out a shaky breath. I hear rustling of leaves and my head snaps around. People are rushing towards us. I get up immediately and let them take her away. I run after them and we exit from the woods. I can see the horror on everybody's faces when they see Mickenna. I look over to Abby, Leo, and Skylar, and they all come rushing towards me. Abby and Skylar are crying, and Leo is holding back the tears.

"W-what happened?" Abby sobs

I just shake my head, because there is a lump in my throat that will only grow larger. I run away from them because I don't know what else to do. I run up to the ambulance, and they pull away.

"No!" I yell at the truck leaving with Mickenna inside

I stick my hand into my pocket, and get the keys. I run over to Abby's car, and get inside.

"Fuck!" I scream and hit my hands against the steering wheel.

Why did this have to happen? Why couldn't I just go and get the frisbee myself? Why did I have to be such a dick, and now Mickenna is in the back of an ambulance? I start the engine. I will apologize later. I need to get to Mickenna. I follow the ambulance as they lead me to the nearest hospital. My vision is getting blurry, and I blink away the tears.

I park the car, and run towards the doors. I make a big scene of walking inside, but I couldn't care less. All heads turn to stare at the tear-stained faced boy that is me. I run up to the woman at the desk.

"I need to see my girlfriend. She just got shot and I really-"

"Stay calm, I will let you know when you will be able to see her." she cuts me off

I narrow my eyes but I am not giving in, "You don't understand I need to see her now!"

"I am afraid I am going to have to ask you to sit down and wait sir."