Chapter 8 - The Affair

A/N: Thank you all for your patience as I am now finally back on my regular updating schedule! Feel free to leave feedback in the comments below!

For the next few weeks it became a routine for the young ballerina. Constance would spy on Christine, which was not hard whatsoever for the trio including Meg had become quite close, and when Christine had practice with her vocals, Constance would sneak down to the catacombs below and delivery her news to the Phantom in person. She never needed to write it down, for she thought of what she was going to say and practiced while she was learning her routine for the ballet in Il Muto. Hardly any one paid Constance any attention, for she did not have a leading role regardless of song or dancing but still she continued to dance to her heart's content while pleasing the Phantom's secret mission. She knew he would deliver her much success and stardom when the timing was right and she needn't question his promises. After all, this was her dream; to be the best ballerina with as much as fame and success had to offer her. To achieve such dreams she had to make certain sacrifices. Surely there could be other sacrifices a young girl could make, and while that were to be true, this one seemed the least harmful to all parties involved. At last, the final pose to the steps of the ballet routine came around the corner, causing her leg to point upward as her arms encircled over her head, holding it while the lights dimmed.

"Excellent ladies," Madame Giry complimented the group, "you may resume first position."

All of the girls stopped their poses and went into first position, eyeing Madame intently so as to not make her angry. In truth, Constance was quite intrigued to what she had to say, considering if she just complimented the group that they were going to be added even more obstacles before they were ready for show time. She was ready, as always.

"I believe you all are ready for when we begin working with the singers tomorrow morning," she was interrupted when whispers began circulating around the room, causing her cane to come smashing to the wooden stage, "and you will need to show the managers as well as the singers you have what it takes to enhance their performance. For now, you all may rest. You are dismissed."

'Finally' Constance thought to herself, sighing with relief as she began looking around before walking back towards her room. She did truly adore her room and since she was still sharing it with Christine, it made their bonding even easier since the rest of the ballet would not be able to spy in on their conversations or even worse, her whereabouts. After peeking through the door to make sure no one was inside she noticed the room was empty, causing her to quickly enter inside and shut the door behind her.

She quickly changed into something more comfortable, knowing she was about to visit Erik at his home to report her findings. Hurriedly, she scanned her closet for a dark blue long sleeved dress and the black cloak that Erik had given her when they were on the roof, placing the hood over her head as she looked at herself in the mirror. The lights of the opera house were still lit but it was close to the sun setting so she would blend in with the shadows, which was her overall goal if she were to get caught. Taking the moment of utter peace and quiet, she breathed a faint sigh once more. After all of this time, she still did not feel guilt over what she was doing to the ex-prima donna, Christine. Well, no that was partially a lie, she did feel some guilt for she did truly admire Christine though she was not as close as her and Meg were. Constance wasn't sure if that was from her secret mission or if that was because of Christine's actions. Either way, the guilt was hardly there. 

Deciding that she should stop producing these thoughts, slowly she peeked her head out of her door and looked both ways, nodding to herself that the coast was clear. She quickly made her way out of her room and down the hall, towards the prima donna room to enter his home. After listening by the door, she noted that it was empty and walked inside, securely shutting the door behind her.