Chapter 24 - Revelations

The trio was able to obtain a carriage in a little amount of time as they all stepped inside and waited to arrive at their destination. Nadir had instructed the driver where they were going and insisted on paying for their way there. There's something going on that neither is telling me Constance pondered to herself, resuming her gaze out the window as no one spoke aloud what they were thinking. In twenty minutes time, they all arrived at a quant restaurant with the name "Charlie's" written in cursive. The place looked as if it could hold no more than a few dozen hungry customers or so, which she figured was entirely on purpose. After Nadir exited the carriage, Constance looked to Erik with a puzzled face. Her moved his gloved hand from his lap and gently took hers, squeezing it reassuringly as he still spoke nothing to her. Erik then got up and was able to remove himself from the carriage, all the while holding his hand out for Constance to take. Constance pondered over whether she should remain inside the carriage or to take Erik's hand, but no sooner had the thought occurred her stomach growled with vengeance. She sighed inwardly and moved to take Erik's hand, letting him escort her out of the carriage and inside the restaurant.

Charlie's was just as she thought it would be; it was a rather small place but it looked intimate with it's red tablecloths with matching red walls. The furniture was all a dark stained wood with the cushion seats a soft off white shade. There were booths and regular tables as far as she could see, and she silently wondered if this place was under some sort of spell to make it appear smaller then it was. Just then the host stood before the group, inquiring how many were to be eating today. Nadir and the host talked for a few moments when the worker's eyes lit up and his demeanor changed to nervous. He bowed before Nadir respectively, an action that caused Constance to raise her eyebrow in curiosity. Erik however gently tapped her arm, silently reprehending her for making such a face. She sighed softly, though loud enough for Erik to hear, as they were lead to one of the booths all the way in the farthest corner of the restaurant.

Once seated, the host immediately dismissed himself and made his way back to his post, causing a new woman to appear before them, "Hello and welcome to Charlie's. Have any of you been here before?"

Nadir turned his head slightly and studied the girl before him. She had to of been no older than Constance was, with her hair curled tightly and half up to keep the curls from her face and her long black dress that was hugging her shoulders tightly even though they were exposed, something that was of fashion for women in this time period; but he could not help himself as he began to charm her.

"Good evening. I regret that we have not been here before," Nadir replied, flashing a charming smile at her which caused her to blush, "do you mind telling us what the cooks are prepared for today Mademoiselle?"

"Miss Bronte, but you may call me Emily," she said sweetly, bowing slightly to show respect to higher class.

"Emily, such a beautiful name," Nadir smiled, bowing respectively back to her, "I dare say I have heard of Bronte before but I cannot recall where."

"My family is filled with writers Sir," she said fast, shaking her head softly as if to confirm her own story, "perhaps you have heard one of their works?"

"Perhaps," Nadir amused, shaking his head too as he got back to ordering, "Do you happen to have a selection of red wine?"

"Yes Sir we do, do you have a preference to any brand?" she inquired, tilting her head slightly to the side as she exposed more of her neck to him.

Constance again raised her eyebrow at the sight before him, never truly having seen any two people flirt with each other without actually flirting before. Every time she had seen this man running around the Opera Garnier he had always kept to himself, not even stopping by to acknowledge Madame Giry, even when she went to stop him. Now that he was trying to be charming to someone, Constance had a hard time taking it in. Erik did not gently tap her this time, all too annoyed at the situation at hand. Though Constance was unaware, he had to take her back in order to save their future, whatever their future would entail. His mind was anywhere but the conversation before them.