Chapter 20 - The Mask

Erik closed his eyes, enjoying the feeling of her teasing lips on his ear until he heard her ask the about his mask. His eyes shot open as he whirled around, his fingers longing to be playing the instrument once more before she interrupted him. Erik obviously catching the ballerina off guard witnessed as she stumbled back from him in uncontrolled movements. 

Suddenly he stood up before her, easily towering over her as his hands moved defensively to the left side of his face, "Why should I tell you what lies beneath the mask?"

Constance blinked back her fear as she straightened her posture, not letting him scare her like he used to, "Do you not trust me as you claim to do?"

"Trust is rather different than experience," he said nonchalantly, turning away from her as his fingers lazily played a few notes from the piano before him.

"Then let us make a new experience Erik," she whispered, slowly moving back over to him as her hands reached out to comfort his stance.

Before she could reach him however he moved from his position to the front of the piano, walking towards a large object that was covered with a red curtain with gold furnishings. Without uttering a retort to her statement he pulled the heavy fabric away from the object, revealing it to be a floor length mirror as the fabric fell carelessly to the floor. He looked at his reflection in the mirror, his eyes wide with intrigue as his hands reached out to the reflection, as if he had put himself into his own trance of sorts. Constance did nothing but watch him as his hands went even closer to the reflection, at last meeting his palm with the cool glass beneath it. He closed his eyes, letting his hands rest on the glass for only a few moments before sighing to himself. He did not utter a word as he removed his hand almost instantly.

Constance sighed softly as she stepped closer to him as her hair now fell before her shoulders, trying not to upset him any more then she already had, "Erik I-"

"No," he interrupted, not turning to face her as he gazed at himself in the mirror, "You'll fear me as Christine did when she gazed upon this wretched face."

She frowned at his words, her heart breaking over the torment her friend caused him, "I am not her Erik. I can prove it to you if you would only allow me."

"I don't want to lose you though," he whispered, his eyes closing once more as he finally removed his glance from the mirror to her.

"You will never lose me," she replied calmly, walking closer to him as he took an equal amount of steps away from her, "please Erik, I beg you."

Erik sighed as he looked at her intently, seemingly trying to decide whether he should show her his most horrid of secrets or not. He pondered over the decision carefully and it was quite some time before a reluctant Erik agreed to reveal himself to her, showcasing his decision by nodding timidly of approval. The menacing Phantom was now reduced to trembling before her, his hands shaking as he brought both of his hands to his face, slowly. They removed the porcelain mask that covered his deformity, his eyes closing so as not to witness the look of horror on her face though it would not save him from the scream she would make.

Constance did her best to hide the gasp that emitted from her mouth but Erik had heard her regardless. No sooner did he remove the mask and show her his most kept secret, he placed it back on and became instantly angry with her. His face twisted into one of pure rage and his alter ego bursted out of his person, the soft and timid Erik completely gone. His gaze was fixated on her surprised form, a snarl escaping him as he stood there menacingly.

"Erik please, it is a shock to me is all. It was not a gasp out of horror or pity-" Constance explained.

"Oh was it not then?" he interrupted, walking past her quickly as he went towards the other side of the lair, "Don't you think I'm rather handsome. Am I not? A rather dashing fellow that you would swoon to have escort you to all of society's social events!" A wicked laugh filled the entire lair suddenly, Erik's face showcasing a range of emotions, "The freak show star on your arm, oh what a pity that no one else could have poor unhappy Erik but you. Won't the other ladies be jealous?"