Chapter 25 - Facade

The streets of Paris were now filled with an inch of snow, casting the entire city in a soft white as couples leisurely strolled the streets. Though it was too early for the holiday decorations, it still felt as if the holidays were soon approaching. The leaves were now wet as people stepped on them, including the newly engaged Vicomte de Chagney and his fiancée, Christine Daaé. The news of their engagement spread like wild fire, causing the tabloids to constantly pester them for various interviews though none of them were granted. Today was another day except for the fact that it seemed the tabloids were ignoring them, which was odd but the couple seized the opportunity.

"Christine, you seem to be in much better spirits today," the Vicomte softly spoke to his fiancée who happened to have her arm laced around his.

Christine gave a soft smile, her hair gently sculpting her face as chocolate ringlets cascaded down her back, "Am I monsieur? I hardly seemed to notice a difference."

Raoul stopped their casual stroll, turning towards his fiancée as he took his free hand and placed it under her chin. Slowly his hand raised her face to meet his, her eyes wide with anticipation as he lowered his head to her. His lips gently touched her slightly parted ones, their kiss pausing the scene surrounding them as if nothing else were taking place. They remained in that spot for what seemed to be hours slowly moving their faces away from one another. All at once the flashes surrounded them, the reporters beginning to ask them questions. Raoul immediately went over to push them out of the way, quickly escorting her back up the stairs to the Opera Populaire and quickly closed the door behind them. They both erupted into fits of giggles as several maids came to retrieve their cloaks off of their backs.

"Vultures," Christine commented, shaking her head softly, "anything to make a franc it seems."

"Indeed," Raoul replied, quickly taking her arm as he began escorting her back to her dorm.

The two erupted into more fits of giggles as they made their way around the opera, running through various passageways as if they were children once more. Christine couldn't recall the last time she had felt so carefree; it had to have been before her dear father passed away. She could recall it so clearly when they were children, playing by the river that was just a few blocks from her Sweden home. Now here they were, reliving their youth through the walls of her home. Suddenly Raoul stopped, pulling Christine into one of the corners of the hallways as he cupped her face in his hands, kissing her passionately once more. She responded to the kiss willingly, smiling despite her former reluctance.

"I meant what I said earlier," Raoul whispered, pulling his face away from hers as he looked into her eyes.

"And what did you say?" She spoke softly, smirking up at him, "the thing about how the baker could have passed as a leprechaun?"

Raoul chuckled softly, shaking his head, "about you being happier then I have seen you before."

Christine scoffed slightly, shaking her head to his remark.

Raoul held her face still, "it's true my dear. You would lock yourself up in your room and not utter a word to a single soul. I don't know why you were so distraught my dear, but whatever has caused you to come out of that mood I am forever grateful. I would like to think of it as my company but even if I weren't the reason, I just am happy to have you back."

Christine smiled softly at him, trying to hold back the tears that were threatening to cascade down her rosy cheeks. The true reason she came out of her shell was out of a poor decision on her part. She was angry with her angel of music, if he was even calling himself that any more. She had not seen or heard a word of him since his departure two months ago. Christine thought that accepting Raoul's proposal would bring her out of her gloom, and for what it was worth it had since she was truly happy and even falling in love with him, but the gut feeling that she needed to be with her angel was slowly driving her insane. She knew he was with Constance, regardless of what anyone told her otherwise, they were obviously together. Christine may have appeared to be an idiot but she was not so much so that she couldn't put two and two together. They may have had the whole opera fooled but not her.