Chapter 23: The Lone Witch

The light had faded and I felt so disoriented. I was in someone's arms, I felt like this person was running. Running from what or from who? What happened? I couldn't remember.

All I remembered was this bright white light flashing in my eyes and blinding me. Everything else was hazy.

"Chase, bring Ella to my car. Mia stay with me." Someone said. His voice was so familiar. I could almost picture his face in my mind. I suddenly felt myself transferred from one pair of arms to another. I felt myself missing the first pair, the warmth they channeled in my body kept me from freezing.

"You will be chased so protect her." The first one said. Then another familiar voice replied.

"I know, it is my duty to keep her safe."

"Right, now go. Hurry, before the rogue vampires regain their sight."

At that, the person sped away with me. I felt the cool air zipping through my hair. I wanted to open my eyes but I couldn't find the strength in me to do so.

The person slowed down and the scent of the forest had disappeared. Instead I smelled the scent of tires and metal. I heard the sound of a car door opening and I was gently placed on a comfortable seat.

My eyes fluttered open and I looked around. My vision was still blurry but I could tell I was in a car. I looked to my side out of the car and noticed a person wearing a black cloak. The hood covered its face and I still saw blurry so that didn't help much. The car door closed and the person vanished with the wind.

I blinked a few times and tried to clear my vision. It took a few seconds before I could focus again. Once I saw properly, everything suddenly came flashing back at me. The car ride, witches, those two strange cloaked people, Gabriel's father's grave and the rogue vampires including their Leader, Seth. Then I just thought about what happened only seconds ago. I must have passed out after that bright light the white cloaked person released. I heard Gabriel call out Chase and Mia. Why them? Were they here? If yes, I haven't seen them.

Unless, they're the cloaked people! Gabriel ordered Chase to bring me to the car. I was brought to the car by that black cloaked person, so Chase was one of the cloaked people. And Mia was the other one. What Chase said for me confused as well. What did he mean by keeping me safe?

Then I remembered he was also the one who brought me to his house after I passed out in school because of the blood from the corpse. Was he keeping me safe then?

I looked out the window and saw him fighting off five rogue vampires who I assumed were after me. I wanted to go out and help him but I felt so weak for some reason.

He finished off the vampires and stayed outside, keeping watch. I glared at him, burning holes in his back. I was angry. I thought back at the story Gabriel told me about the reason why he and Chase used to be good friends but aren't on good terms now. I always had my doubts about that story, I thought it was a fake. Perhaps I was right. From the looks of it, Gabriel trusted Chase with my life.

I thought back at the story and realized just how much of a lie it was. I now knew for sure it was fake.

Once Gabriel had become Leader of his clan, he named Chase as his second in command because he was his only friend at the time. Unfortunately, Piper didn't agree with his decision and tried to fight to strip away Chase from his position. She lost, obviously. But apparently, Chase grew feelings for Piper and he told Gabriel about it. Gabriel was so furious but he told him to do whatever he wanted with her as long as she didn't bother him. However, Piper hated Chase for what he did to her, for playing around with her. She didn't like him all that much since then. But she wanted revenge because in the end she never knew that Chase and Gabriel made a pact to get her to hate Gabriel instead of loving him. She decided to break their friendship apart and she did it the best way possible. She slept with Chase and they became a "couple". A few weeks in their relationship she told him that Gabriel abused her and forced her to sleep with him. Naturally, Chase got so angry that he attacked Gabriel for something he didn't do. Gabriel tried to tell him that he did nothing of the sort but Chase didn't believe him. That's when he was striped of his title as second in command and Daniel took his spot afterwards. It wasn't long after that, that the boys found out Piper set it all up but by that time they had already grown apart from one another. Their friendship destroyed.