Chapter 4

(Erik's POV)

I was walking back to the camp with a bag in hand. I had found a small town not too far and bought a few things.

Sarah sat outside the tent, admiring a rock she had found, when I approached. "Oh, there you are. I was beginning to wonder." She said as she looked at me.

"There was a town close by. I bought a few things." I said as I held up my bag.

"Good." She set the pot back on the fire to warm it. "Nadir woke up and seems to be recovering." I nodded and before I lost the nerve, I handed her the bag. The items that I had bought was for her. She had wanted a change of clothing after all.

She took the bag from me and opened it up, seeing a pretty but rather simple dress inside. She looked up at me in surprise, "You bought me this?" I could tell she hadn't expected it. I looked down and nodded. "I'm sorry if you don't like it."

"Nonsense, I love it." She pulled the dress out and smiled. "Yes, it's perfect. I didn't even know you heard me when I mentioned new clothes. Thank you very much!"

"I have pretty good hearing." I said as I looked up at her. "You're welcome."

"And, you're very kind." She folded the dress up and slipped it back into the bag. "I'll change in a moment." She stirred the soup and looked at me, "Hungry?"

I shook my head, "No, but thank you." She arched an eyebrow. "Have you eaten anything since I've appeared here?" He shook his head. "No, I haven't."

I frowned. "You must eat something." I stood up. "And why must I?" He asked.

"Because we have one man on the sickbed and I don't want you to join him." I said firmly. He looked at me, "I'm not hungry."

I scowled slightly but decided not to push him. "Fine. But, the moment you are let me know." I took a bowl and dished some out for myself. He might not be hungry but I was.

He nodded and sat down on the ground. "You said that Nadir is awake. How is he?"

"Feeling better. He's most definitely on the road to recovery." I took a bite of the soup and smiled, it wasn't half bad. "And, he's invited Carly to go to Persia with him to doctor his son." He immediately looked up at me. "He did what?"

"He invited Carly to go with him to Persia. And, that means I'm coming along too." I smiled at him.

"She must be his last chance to save his son then." He said. Obviously, he couldn't think of any other reason. "I think you're right." I replied as I kept eating. "It was very kind of him to offer." He nodded. "Yes, it was nice of him."

"Do you have any objections?" I asked as I looked up at him. It was only fair to ask him.

(Erik's POV)

"Can you ride a horse?" I asked. If she couldn't, then I would have to teach her.

"Western, English, or bareback?" She asked. "Western." I stated as I looked up at her.

"No problem at all." She said with a happy smile. "That's my preferred kind of riding. I'd like to think I'm pretty good at it."

"Then it looks like I won't have to teach you after all." I said.

"Do you have enough horses for all four of us?" She asked as she finished her soup and set the bowl aside. I shook my head thinking about it. "No, I'm afraid not. I'll have to go back to town and see if there is any more for sale."

"Mind if I come with you? I need to buy a dress for Carly." She pulled the pot off the fire and picked up the bag I'd brought back with me. I thought about it for a moment and then finally nodded. "If you wish to." I said as I stood up.