Chapter 5

(Nadir's POV)

I was just waking up when I saw Erik coming in. I looked over and saw Sarah, "Where's Carly?" I asked. Sarah looked up at Erik who said, "She went riding, promising to be back before Dark. Sarah, she does know how to ride, right?" Sarah nodded. "Yep, she's better than me."

I nodded, "I hope she remembers her way back."

"She probably will." She said. "She's always had a good memory for directions." I nodded and tried to sit up. "She's a very good doctor."

She pushed me back down. "No you don't. Not for another little bit. Hungry?" I sighed and nodded. "A little."

"I'll be right back." She stood up left the tent, returning a moment later with soup. "Eat."

"Yes, ma'am." I said as I took a bite. She smiled proudly and sat down on the ground again. I continued eating until I had finished my bowl. "Thank you."

"You're welcome." She took the bowl from me and set it aside. "How do you feel?"

"Stronger than before." I said with a smile. "Excellent. In no time you'll be right as rain." She grinned. I smiled and nodded. "I hope so."

"Tell me about Persia if you have enough strength." She said. She, no doubt, wanted to know about her new home. "It's very hot over there." I said with a small laugh. "You'll probably get sunburnt." She shrugged. "I've had worse and I like heat. Always have."

I nodded. "Once we get there, I'll buy a small house near mine."

"For who?" She asked curiously. "For Carly and you." I said. "It was part of our deal."

"Oh!" She said, genuinely surprised. "That's very kind of you, Nadir." I smiled a little. "I'll do anything for my son."

"I can see. Even take care of two strange women from another time!" She giggled. "Speaking of which, do you have any idea of something I could do to earn money? Erik says he'll think of something but seems against me working." She shot the man in question a scolding look. I looked at her, "You shouldn't be working."

She threw up her hands. "How else am I going to support myself? I've been on my own since my parents' death and I know how to."

"I'm sorry, Sarah." I said. "I might be able to find a job for you. A seamstress possibly."

"Thank you." She said softly then thought. "I'm not too bad with a needle and thread. That's very kind of you."

"You're welcome." I said and then asked, "Can you check outside for me please? I think it's getting late." She nodded and stood, looking out the flaps. "I don't see Carly yet..."

"How dark is it?" I asked.

"Just dusk. She still have a bit of daylight left." She replied. I nodded. "I hope she isn't lost."

"She'll find her way back. Besides, I believe it's a full moon tonight." She said as she took her seat in the door of the tent so she could hear or see Carly coming. I nodded. "Tell me when you see her, please."

(Sarah's POV)

"Don't worry. I will." I replied as a smile danced on my lips. Nadir sounded quite concerned for Carly and it made me wonder if perhaps a budding romance was happening. At least a one-sided one. I noticed Erik had a curious look on his face. "What's that smile for?" He asked. I tried to pull off the innocent look. "Absolutely nothing."

Erik shook his head. "If you say so." I smirked slightly and settled in to watch for her.

(Carly's POV)