Chapter 43

(Erik's POV)

I was in my music room, trying to compose. Charles had given me a day off, due to the fact that he had taken mother on an outing.

Sarah into the music room. "Erik!" She said excitedly. "Erik! Guess what?"

I looked up from my sheet of scribbled notes. "Charles asked mother to marry him?"

She shook her head. "No, though I'm expecting that very soon. No, something completely different!" She walked closer to me and grabbed my hand.

I down at her and smiled softly. "What's got you all excited then?" I asked as I squeezed her hand.

She squeezed my hand back and laid my hand on her stomach. "Our baby kicked." She said, tears of joy welling up in her eyes. The baby gave my hand a light kick and she grinned even broader.

My smiled immediately turned into a frown and I jerked my hand away. "I thought I told you I wanted nothing to do with that thing." I whispered lowly.

She hung her head and the smile also disappeared from her face. "I'm sorry. I was just so happy." She said softly.

I nodded once and then sat back down at my desk.

She took a few steps away from me and wrapped her hands around her stomach. "I was hoping you could at least be happy for me. Even if you don't want anything to do with our baby."

"Stop saying that it's ours!" I snapped at her as I slammed my fists down on my desk. That movement caused my ink bottle to topple over and spill all over my music sheet.

She took a few steps further away from me. "Well, you helped create him. Even if you didn't want him!" She said.

I crumbled the sheet up, getting ink all over my hands in the process, and threw it away. I growled and looked up at her. I was beyond angry.

She looked at me, fear in her eyes.

"Is that fear I see in those little eyes, my dear?" I asked as I walked towards her. "My own wife is afraid of me. I knew it would happen one day."

"I'm afraid of your anger. You scare me when your anger is quiet." She said. "I'm not scared of you." She said as she straightened up and looked me square in the eye.

I stared down at her and smiled. But it wasn't a normal smile. "Are you sure you're not scared?" I whispered as I hit the wall beside her head. Hard.

She dodged me. "You won't hurt me." She said boldly. "If you ever did, you would never see me again."

"And why is that, child?" I asked.

"Because I won't stand for abuse." She said. "And, I am not a child. I am with child but not a child." She stated as she folded her arms across her chest.

"I won't hurt you." I whispered as I shook my head. "Nor that thing inside you." I said. I would keep my promise. "Just know that I don't even want it in my sight when it's born."

She took a deep breath. "I suppose your mother will have to help me take care of him. I don't know why I'm even bothering to name him after you when you don't even want him." She snapped, angry and upset.

"Then don't name the thing after me!" I said. "I want nothing to do with it. I would think you knew that by now."

"One day you'll change your mind. I only hope it's before your son marries and gives us grandchildren!" She shouted.

"That thing is not my son!" I screamed at her.

"If it's not yours then who's is it!?" She shouted back at me. "I've told you before, women don't just suddenly get pregnant!"