Chapter 32

(Sarah's POV)

I stood at the window and saw Daroga riding home as quickly as he could. I frowned. "Something's wrong." I said to Carly and Erik. We had sent Reza to bed already as he was getting tired.

Nadir walked into his house and looked straight at Erik. "I need to speak with you. Alone."

Erik looked up and nodded. "Of course." I watched them walk to Nadir's study and my stomach twisted into a knot.

(Erik's POV) Nadir closed the door and sighed. He walked over to his window and looked outside. "Erik. We are in trouble."

I looked at him, confused. "What do you mean? What trouble? From whom?" I walked over beside him. He looked over at me. "The Shah wants you gone." He told me. "And I'm the one he put in charge."

"Gone?" I questioned. "As in, dead?" Nadir nodded and sighed. I drew away from him slightly. "What happens if you don't kill me?" I asked.

"Then it's my life he takes." He whispered. I sighed and hung my head. I knew what I had to do. "I'm leaving." I said. "Tell him, I was gone before you got back and you tried to trace me but couldn't."

He looked at me. "Erik, what about Sarah?"

I closed my eyes and struggled to say, "She stays here. I'll be gone before she has a chance to stop me. She won't be safe with me now that the Shah wants me dead." She deserved better than me. I walked to the door.

"She won't like this." He told me.

"No, but she'll soon forget me." I said as I opened the door and stepped into the hallway. "In a few months, I'll be nothing but an old memory, if that." I hurried up to my room and began to pack.

(Nadir's POV) I sighed and then hurried to the living room to see Sarah. "Talk Erik out of leaving." I told her. "Do whatever it takes."

She didn't even bother to ask why he was leaving. She just bolted up to Erik's room as fast as she could.

(Erik's POV)

"Erik, what's this I hear about you leaving?" Sarah asked she ran into my room. I sighed and continued to pack. "I have to leave." I told her. "I need you to stay here. For your safety."

"My safety? Would you please explain?" She said as she folded her arms and leaned against the doorframe.

"It's either my life or Nadir's." I said. "And I want neither to happen." I paused and turned around to look at her. "I'm sorry, but I have to leave."

"I'll start packing." She said as she turned to leave. "What is our destination?" She asked as she turned to look at me.

I instantly shook my head. "You. Are. Not. Going." I said firmly.

"Yes. I. Am." She said just as firmly. "I'd brave hell and high water to stay with you. I'm not letting some puny Shah get in the way."

I shook my head again. "Sarah, I can't take you with me. I need you to stay here." I sighed and tried to think of a way to get her to stay. "You'll only weigh me down."

She took a step back and hung her head, pain written over her face. "I didn't realize I was just a nuisance." She whispered.

I didn't want to tell her that. Honestly! "You'll forget about me. You'll move on." I said as I continued packing.

"No, I won't." She said softly as she looked up at me. "You want me to stay here for my safety right? Don't you realize that leaving me here is a death sentence?! I can't live without you! I don't want to even try!"