Chapter 41

(Charles Garnier's POV)

I scowled as I sat in my office at the building site of the Opera Populaire and looked over the building plans that had been submitted by the last person who wanted to be the lead architect. They were trash.

Someone knocked at my office door.

"Come in." I snapped as I tossed the plans into the trash bin.

A gentleman walked inside. "Good morning, Mr. Garner." He said as he held out his hand. "I'm Erik. My father wrote to you a few weeks ago."

I shook his hand and looked at him. "Yes, I got the letter three days ago. Sit down." I sat down behind my desk and gestured to a seat.

Erik nodded and sat down.

"Giovanni said that you are a talented architect." I said as I leaned back.

"I like to think that I am." He said as he handed me his blue prints. "These are my ideas."

I looked over them and nodded approvingly. "I have a question. What are you going to do about the large amount of water in the cellars? It's causing a large problem."

"We could run pipes down there and drain it." He said. "It wouldn't be a problem."

"What if the water came back?" I asked. I wanted to see if I could trip him up. No one had had any good ideas yet.

"Then, we would simply filter the water and put it to good use." He stated.

"That's a decent idea." I looked over his plans again. "Giovanni taught you well. How much money do you want for this job?" I asked.

"That is for you to decide. I have a small family." He said.

"How many? Wife, children?" I asked.

"My mother and wife." He then sighed and mumbled under his breath, "She is with child."

"Congratulations." I said with a smile.

He frowned, "Thank you."

"You're not keen on the child?" I asked, curious. Most men would be happy to hear about their wife's pregnancy.

He shook his head immediately, "No." He said. "I don't want children."

"Your mind will change." I said with a kindly smile.

"No, it won't." He said firmly. "I don't change my mind often."

"I don't either, Erik. I didn't want my first child. But, now I'm the proud father of six and happily expecting my second grandchild." I said with a fond smile.

He sighed and shook his head. "I'll just be glad when that thing is born. Its making my wife sick."

"That normal." I sighed. "My late wife was very ill through all her pregnancies. It's to be expected."

He nodded. "It's going to be a very long nine months."

"It should end in about two months. You will need to find a midwife as soon as possible. A good one." He said. "You don't want to lose your wife." I said.

"I will not lose my wife." He said. "That is not an option."

"It happens." I said. "I lost mine that way. But, with a good doctor or midwife she'll be fine."

He nodded. "My wife will be fine." He said, more to himself than to me.

"I'm sure she will." I reassured him. "Would you, your wife, and mother like to come to my house for dinner tonight? Consider it a celebration for my finding of an architect."