Chapter 45

(Erik's POV)

I opened my eyes and looked around. "What in the world." I whispered to myself. I didn't remember coming here. I did remember the fire though.

Sarah slowly woke up and sat up. "Stay still, Erik." She rubbed her eyes to get the sleep out of them.

"What happened?" I asked. "Why are we here?"

"The house burned down and we needed a place to stay and somewhere I could bandage your burns." She said.

I nodded and tried to sit up, but failed. "I remember the fire." I said. "But, after that, it's all a blur."

She laid her hands on my chest to keep me down. "At least you don't remember the pain." She said.

"But, I feel it now." I said as I flinched.

She nodded. "You stay still. I wish I had some pain killer."

I sighed and nodded. "I do too."

She stood up. "I'll go look for some." She said as she headed back towards the medicine cabinet.

"Alright." I said as I laid back.

She returned a moment later with some pills. "This is the best I can do." She said as she filled a glass of water and handed me the pills. "Take them."

I nodded and took the pills. I sighed and looked up at her, "What's on your mind?" She was thinking about something for sure.

She sighed and looked down. "Just somethings you said that you don't remember."

"Did I say something mean?" I asked as I looked up at her.

Sarah shook her head. "No, you said something I've wanted to hear for a long time." She whispered.

I thought for a moment. "I'll wear my mask in public?"

She shook her head again. "No." She looked up at me. "You said you loved our baby, that you wanted our baby to be safe, that you wanted a girl next time around." She said as she covered her face with her hands.

I frowned upon hearing those words. "It had to have been the pain talking." I said as I looked away. "Because there is no way in the world, that I meant a word of it."

She bit her lip. "I knew it was too good to be true." She whispered as she stood up and turned her back to me.

I sighed and pushed myself to stand up. "Come with me, I want to show you something." I said as I took her hand. "Follow me, I want to know what you think."

She nodded but kept her eyes focused on the floor. I lead her through the halls and I finally came to a door that was marked 'Off Limits'. I opened the door and walked through, taking my wife with me.

I lead her down the multiple cellars and looked over at her. "There will be water in here one day." I said as I stepped down, the ground was still moist. I didn't want her dress to get muddy, so I picked her up and carried her.

She smiled slightly as I picked her up. "I see. But, why are we here in the bed of a future lake?" She asked.

"Because our new house is on the other side." I explained softly as we came into view of it. "This is where I spent my free time at. Preparing it and making it perfect." I had yet to make any preparations for that thing though.

"A house? Underground?" She said as she looked over into the darkness on the opposite side.

I nodded. "Yes." I said simply as we arrived at the house.

(Sarah's POV)

I looked at the piece of stone in front of me and up at him. "Are we going to walk into a rock?" I asked. I liked the idea of a home underground but I wasn't sure about walking into walls.